Are You Afraid To Profile?

Longbow

Enlightened
Why are so many CPF'ers hesitant to include meaningful info in their profiles? Name, location, age, and even daytime job would be nice.

Zackerty

Enlightened
Maybe they are stretching the phrase..." Flashlights Anonymous" !!!
I trimmmed my profile rather severly ,as it seemed TOO busy!

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I'm not afraid, just no need combined with the fact that the profiles can be googled. I get enough spam and viruses already. If you want to get to know me, go the my home page.

It's really so easy to get information about folks....

Daniel

Topper

Flashaholic*
PM me for what you want to know I will do what I can. I agree with the thought that folks should know where they are. Topper in Jonesboro Arkansas

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
With spamming and hacking and identity theft running so prevalent these days, I am very hesitent to put anything pointing directly at me.

I must say, I've had my primary (given to friends only) email address for about 5 years now. BECAUSE I don't give it to anyone, and never register it unless I absolutely HAVE to... And I have a Yahoo address to give to anything...

I get almost nothing to my real address that is spam.

This makes me SO happy!

I do tell you about where I live and what I do all the time, so you can't feel too left out on my account!

Jefff

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Unregulated said:
Why are so many CPF'ers hesitant to include meaningful info in their profiles? Name, location, age, and even daytime job would be nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you so worried about what everyone does for a living.. ? lol that's why it is called personal info

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Unregulated said:
Why are so many CPF'ers hesitant to include meaningful info in their profiles?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unregulated,

I think that laying out personal stuff for the world to see involves a fear we all have to some extent. I notice you don't include your e-mail address in your profile, so you would probably agree. Being a little afraid (or at least cautious) seems prudent to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Paul

LightChucker

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Unregulated said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya know, I had a similar question when I first started hanging out around here. I started out using my real name instead of a false handle. As a little time went by, I started feeling out of place because everyone else used a handle. So, I came up with the LightChucker handle.

I am still not sure of what I am supposed to be afraid of.

Oh well...whatever?

Chuck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
This is a great community, and it's awesome how we stand by each other, but it is unfortunately transparent to the outside world. The googling of profiles freaks me out, it's so easy, so I'm hesitant to actively put out more personal info.

daloosh

Longbow

Enlightened
Jeff, worry can cause stomach ulcers,no I'm not worried but interested in knowing what fellow CPF'ers do for a living. An individule's occupation tends to (to some degree) influence and/or define ones interests and priorities. I realize that a farmer can know more about medicine than a doctor, or that a doctor can know more about farming than a farmer, but in general that's not the case. Once armed with this information I feel more comfortable in my communication.

Mr_Dead

Newly Enlightened
There's a lot that could be said. Information on everybody goes everywhere now, with or without your consent. Privacy and anonymity command a premium, where they're available at all. Increasingly, it takes money and clout to have any. That being the case, why would you just give it away?

But, personally, I think the question posed in the thread subject line itself incorporates a subtly twisted rationale.

The real question should be, why are you uncomfortable even talking to someone without knowing their "Name, location, age, and even daytime job"? How relevant is any of that? Do you really have to pigeon-hole people to even converse comfortably, and, if so, what does that say about you?

I don't think it's the people interested in protecting their privacy that need to be on the defensive here. I'd much rather see the people who are uncomfortable with the privacy of others have to justify their own position.

Personally, I don't see any need to pry. Discourse can stand, or not, on it's own merits.

Longbow

Enlightened
Mr_Dead, your post explains your fear,and personal need of anonymity. Gladly I don't identify with you. However I still maintain that the better I know someone, the better I can communicate with that person. After all, isn't that the purpose of this forum, to communicate and share information?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i always thought about puttinng proof reader as my job in my profile /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
We all have limits as to what we want to tell people about ourselves. Its called privacy. Information is power--especially your credit card information, as I found out.

One of my fellows was murdered just for telling the wrong people in a bar what he did for a living. That's rare, but not unheard of in this business.

People who put their political affiliations on the bumper of their car risk getting the paint keyed.

A person on the internet may risk only spam or flames to a e-mail address, but who needs that? Also, we can be more truthful with the cloak of anonymity. I've read some embarassingly honest posts on this and other forums. This is where you can learn things you wouldn't otherwise.

Mr_Dead

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, but you're missing the point.

I don't have any "fear" on this count- I have nothing to hide, it's just a matter of personal preference. Reducing the focus from the principle to the personal is a basic debate tactic, but it won't work in my case.

People who use envelopes for their mail, and have curtains on their windows, are not doing it because of "fear". They're doing it because they prefer some privacy.

It seems very clear to me that the people who fear privacy are the the truly paranoid, not the people seeking to preserve it.