hunting tragedy (article)

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
BIRCHWOOD, Wis. - A dispute among deer hunters over a tree stand in northwestern Wisconsin erupted Sunday in a series of shootings that left five people dead and three others injured, officials said.

[/ QUOTE ]

Click here for the article from MSNBC

and we thought the NBA incident was bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

this guy sounds crazier than Ron Artest!

HesNot

Enlightened
Wow. Yep - just what those of us who enjoy outdoor activities and responsible gun ownership need - a high profile deer hunting rampage.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow. crazy.

at this time of year, we get a rash of hunters that fall out of their deerstands. some of them are pretty busted up.

sometimes, gravity sucks!

Bob

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can imagine the deer stand there watch the madness unfold thinking to themself; We've nothing to worry about.

chiphead

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
This one should be filed under: What the Hell is wrong with people? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
.why do i imagine a deer watching the whole thing going down

Lars

Newly Enlightened
I hadn't heard for certain that no one fired back,but with the weapon he was using they may not have had time to respond and (I'm making an educated guess here)I don't think all of them were armed.One account I read said the shooter turned as though he was going to leave then "fiddled" with his gun and turned and opened fire.I suspect he took them all by surprise as I'm sure nobody expected him to open fire.I heard a quote from the shooter's brother that his brother(the shooter) was a "reasonable" guy and that something must have "provoked" him."Provoked him"?!? To murder 6(unfortunately another person died) innocent people?!? This is a terrible senseless tragedy.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
[ QUOTE ]
IlluminatingBikr said:
It's interesting that none of the hunters opened fire back on him.

[/ QUOTE ]
I had that thoght also. It is quite possible that the returning hunters may have had their safties on or even in cases, or he may have gotten the drop on them.
Now another has died. [ QUOTE ]
Death Toll In Hunting Tragedy Rises

By: Lee Sandok

55 year old Dennis Drew of Rice Lake was the latest victim of the shootings to succomb to his injuries. He died around 7:50 this evening at Saint Joseph's Hospital in Marshfield, WI.
Five others died yesterday at the scene. They are 42 year-old Robert Crotteau and his 20 yearold son Joey, 43 year old Al
Laski, 28-year old Mark Roidt and 27-year-old Jessica Willers.
She's the daughter of one of the two men who were wounded.
Those injured in the shooting are Lauren Hesebeck, he's in stable condition at Lakeview Medical Center in Rice Lake and, Terry Willers, who is in stable condition at a Marshfield Hospital.
All are from the Rice Lake area.
Sawyer County authorities say 36-year-old Chai Vang opened fire
yesterday after a dispute over a tree stand.
According to the Sawyer County Sheriff's Department, two hunters were returning to their cabin on private land in the Town of Meteor when they saw Vang in one of their tree stands.
They asked Vang two leave and he shot them. One of the hunters radioed back to the cabin. As the other members of the party responded, they were shot.
In all, six were killed and two injured.
A probable cause hearing for Vang may happen as early as Tuesday.

Tune in to KDLH Channel 3 for live reports tonight at 5, 6 and 10.

[/ QUOTE ]
Through the grape vine in town (read:may or may not be true) Vang, the suspect, has 6 children and his brother says he's not this type of person.
Despite the way this looks now I wonder what story will come out at the end.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I read that only one of the hunters that was shot had a rifle.

I also noticed that the news media is calling a SKS an assault rifle.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wildlife Manager Rich Staffon has been with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources for over twenty years.
[ QUOTE ]
He says
arguments over deer stands aren't unusual, but he's never seen
anything like Sunday's shooting, which left five people dead
and three others severely injured in the Wisconsin woods.

"It's kind of off the charts. It's hard as a hunter to even
comprehend it," Staffon said. .....In Wisconsin, private land is off-limits to hunters unless they
have permission from the landowner. Public land is a different
story.

"On public land, a deer stand is really public property, so on
public land it's first come, first serve. So whoever gets in
that deer stand, even though someone else may have built it,
whoever occupies it first has the right to be there," Staffon
said.

But not everyone understands the rules.

"They've had a number of problems with Hmongs just culturally,
understanding the fact that there are regulations and limits,"
Staffon said.

The suspect, 36-year-old Chai Vang, is a Hmong from St. Paul.
The weapon he used, an SKS semi-automatic rifle, is legal, but
not a popular choice for hunters. But Staffon says all hunting
rifles are designed to be deadly.

"One thing deer hunters know, any deer hunter who's shot deer
realizes how much damage hunting rifles can cause and so you
realize that if you shoot somebody it's very likely that you're
gonna kill 'em," he said.

Still, Staffon said most hunters wouldn't hesitate to confront
someone sitting in their deer stand.

"Just because the guy was a hunter and had a rifle in most
cases you wouldn't, unless you knew something about that
individual, that they were a hothead or something, you normally
wouldn't worry about going up to them and talking to them. You
just wouldn't expect that, it's the last thing on your mind,
that somebody was going to open up and start shooting at you,"
he said.

[/ QUOTE ]

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
think he'll claim they initiated a hate crime or something similar, and he was defending himself? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

this is still so crazy sounding to me. i didn't realize how young some of the victims were.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
think he'll claim they initiated a hate crime or something similar, and he was defending himself?

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't be suprised
[ QUOTE ]
this is still so crazy sounding to me. i didn't realize how young some of the victims were.

[/ QUOTE ]
My family lives in (different) woods, crazy sounding but it brings home how short life can be. And how it can end without warning.

Here are links to articles from the Duluth, MN paper.
Suspect's family, officials bewildered at killings of six hunters
Minnesota Hmong fear backlash after Wisconsin shooting
No restrictions on semiautomatic weapon used in shootings

mapson

Enlightened
Crazies and guns don't mix, in fact, crazies and a lot of things don't mix.

d'mo

Enlightened
Man, this is really sad. Being married to a wonderful woman from the Philippines, I've experienced racism against her in this country and against myself in hers. It's a sad state of the human condition if this guy really felt threatened. I can assure you, from personal experience, it can be truly frightening particularly if there are a lot of people involved. Still, it's not an excuse for murder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

iseethelight

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BlindedByTheLite said:
think he'll claim they initiated a hate crime or something similar, and he was defending himself? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm... like racism is unheard of in Minnesota... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Suspect is Army vet
Some Hmong leaders questioned whether racial differences may have figured in the shootings; authorities have not determined a motive.
Sang Vang said his family was devastated, and that his brother has lived in the United States for more than 20 years and is a U.S. Army veteran.

Vang's mother, who does not speak English, declined comment through an interpreter Monday night.

"This is an incredible tragedy, one in which a great family tradition like a deer hunt has turned into such a great loss," Gov. Jim Doyle said. There have been previous clashes between Southeast Asian and white hunters in the region.

In Minnesota, a fistfight once broke out after Hmong hunters crossed onto private land, said Ilean Her, director of the St. Paul-based Council on Asian Pacific Minnesotans.

Racial tension after shooting
Vang's arrest left some Hmong citizens in his hometown fearful of a backlash. About 24,000 Hmong live in St. Paul, the highest concentration of any U.S. city. And the shooting has already provoked racial tension in an area of Wisconsin where deer hunting is steeped in tradition.

Locals in the Birchwood area, about 120 miles northeast of the Twin Cities, have complained that the Hmong, refugees from Laos, do not understand the concept of private property and hunt wherever they see fit.

Activist Michael Yang said various Hmong groups on Monday held an emergency meeting to discuss how to respond.

[/ QUOTE ]

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel like there is a chunk of this story missing in the middle. The guy was obviously not having a good day when he was confronted by the folks who's private land he was accidently on, but what I've read in those articles doesn't lead one from "get out of my tree stand" to shooting at the whole party of them.

Even if some racial goading was added after the comment, and besides some random bewildered wondering on the part of some of them they don't seem to be saying they really think that happened yet, you wouldn't expect him to do that unless he really felt afraid for his life.

And even if he did, the thought that you could take out that many people when everyone was holding a gun doesn't measure up to any standards of careful thought. Are they still saying that none of the other guys fired back at him?

What a very strange story! One would have to wonder if his thinking was chemically affected or something like that. Either that, or as I suggested there is a big chunk missing from the middle of the story. There is definitely more to come out about this.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
this isnt really a comment on the story.

a few years ago, a friend and i were mountainbiking around a lake up north (michigan), when we came upon a group of hunters setting up a camp.

i said hi...and they started calling us faggots, homos, etc.
they began moving toward us.
while holding rifles.

we felt threatened, and rode like hell outta there!

Bob

iseethelight

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
James S said:
I feel like there is a chunk of this story missing in the middle. The guy was obviously not having a good day when he was confronted by the folks who's private land he was accidently on, but what I've read in those articles doesn't lead one from "get out of my tree stand" to shooting at the whole party of them.

Even if some racial goading was added after the comment, and besides some random bewildered wondering on the part of some of them they don't seem to be saying they really think that happened yet, you wouldn't expect him to do that unless he really felt afraid for his life.

And even if he did, the thought that you could take out that many people when everyone was holding a gun doesn't measure up to any standards of careful thought. Are they still saying that none of the other guys fired back at him?

What a very strange story! One would have to wonder if his thinking was chemically affected or something like that. Either that, or as I suggested there is a big chunk missing from the middle of the story. There is definitely more to come out about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

While perhaps one incident of racial goading might not have set him off, perhaps 20 years of it (after serving his chosen country in the military) might have tipped him over the edge. Certainly not a justification but perhaps a motive...