How rare are the red Arc AAAs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldtimer

Enlightened
These are the ones wih the black bodies. I don't remember them ever being sold on the "official" website. Thanks.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
IMHO they aer the least rare of the colored Arcs, or second least after the Cyan ones.
But there is an earlier version with a square hotspot that might be rarer if one is inclined to distinguish the two.
The hardest to come by is yellow.
bernhard

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends on what you really have!

-- I bought two orange from the official Arc website long ago; these are a true orange color, with the narrowest beam angle of any of the AAAs. They do project a somewhat squarish light spot.

(They're also Gransee's "least favorite" I think he once said, but perhaps my favorite -- I've found the orange AAAs invaluable for walking at night, whether around the house or in the woods, when I don't want to lose my dark adaptation or be too obvious about where I am, for example during deer hunting season when it's kind of drunk out in the woods all over Northern California!)

I tried to buy AAA true reds from third parties several times -- four different ones -- and each time I got another orange narrow-angle light, although at least a couple of them were in bags labeled 'red' (no idea whose label).

I've never seen a true red Arc AAA yet, though I hear they exist and they used to be listed on the old Arc web page. (Compare for example the Rigel astronomy light, or Streamlight Sylus, or PALight or even plain old bicycle light red LEDs, all of which I also use for camping and stargazing trips.

One way to decide what you have might be to set it on a protractor and figure the beam angle, or measure the spot at a meter away from the light -- cameras are so unreliable rendering colors it's hard to know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.