Do I really need a Tactical flashlight? G2 vs QIII

MJRMetalworks

Newly Enlightened
I'm hoping that some of you with more experience with the G2 and or the QIII can help me make a decision.

I'm still pretty new to the high-end flashlight scene, but I'd like to take a first step. I need a flashlight to put in my briefcase that will be used as a general light. Change a flat tire, take the dog for a walk (suburban neighborhood), check out things that go 'bump' in the night, that kind of stuff. I understand that the G2 will have more throw but I'm not excited about the bulb going 'pop' at the wrong time, especially if I drop my brief case. The advantage to the G2 would be when to use as a tactical light on the rare occasion that I'm leaving work late and need to get to the car, or if the family and I are in the city and would need to discourage someone of questionable intent. I really like the size of the QIII and the durability of the LED. I'm just not sure how the two lights compare.

Right now the budget says "one light, under $70". Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

- Mike

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Do I really need a Tactical flashlight? G2 vs

Well, I'm far from an expert, but my instinct would be to say that if you aren't going to carry it in a pocket or on your belt, I'd consider a larger light. Maybe the Elektrolumens FT3C. It's a 3 C cell Lux III LED light. A good 2 to 3 inches longer than the G2, but not radically large by any means. Little bit better throw than the G2 and nearly the same total output but the G2 gives the famous 'wall of light' whereas the FT is more of a spot with decent spill.

All the pluses of better LEDs - bright, long lasting, durable, effecient. About 8 hour runtime at full brightness and honestly if I could either have the FT in my hands or a G2 if someone with potentially bad intents startled me, I'd rather it be the FT.

Alternately, with a $75 budget, I might consider the QIII and the Gerber Trio. Keep the QIII on my preson and the Trio in my briefcase.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the G2. Heck with a budget of 70 bucks get the 6P. That aluminum feels nice in the hand. As far as the whole lamp exploding thing, do you know how rare that is? Ive dropped my 6P and G2Z countless times - no problems. That nitrolon the G2 is made out of is good stuff as well.

capnal

Enlightened
yeah, I like what KDog suggested. I have the G2 and I have 2 model 6P's. I like them just fine. Both would answer your needs just fine. In fact, I think you can get BOTH the G2 and the QIII for your $75 budget.

I think that with some playing around with them, you would find a "need" for both to suit you. I am not trying to lump you into the "flashaholic" recovery group just yet, however, the two choices actually do different things. Go someplace and try them out, if at all possible.

Also, don't be confused by the term "tactical". It really seems to be an (overused) adjective that gets applied to any of a wide variety of flashlights. Yes, I own many lights that could be labeled as "tactical", however I am not on a SWAT team, I am not a Navy seal, nor am I serving in Iraq. I won't ever have a need for a tactical application, but I enjoy having the flashlights that go with it!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Have you ever given any thought to a drop in LED sandwich for a common Minim*g?

You MUST consider a LUXIII if you do. Most of the 1W LEDs I've seen have tint problems (including my new "white" Everled which has a major blue component).

The waiting list is the list from he77, but I HIGHLY recommend a Lambda pill!

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=669169&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=all&vc=1

BEWARE< this is "show all" and it's a 28 page thread!!!

Maybe someone will clean up the link?

It is my EDC!!! It runs so far as long as I want in my edc light. I run it on NimH rechargables. I use a Kroll switch to activate it.

Hide your wallet! Abandon hope!

But we are here to help!

junior

Enlightened

I use a G2 for tactical/bump in the night puposes....

I also use a basic Dorcy2AA for general usage....

By the way, i really use my Docys more than anything else..... If you get the picture.

You could buy the G2 and keep it for bump in the night purposes only and use a led for general purposes.

With a $70.00 budget you can fit in 3 lights....

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mike,
You make some interesting stuff. Why don't you post a request in Custom / Modified Buy / Sell / Trade
for a high end LED light like the Aleph or LionHeart and trade one of your knives?

Nuwai Q III is a nice light but uses a talicap without monentary on. A New Model Surefire KL1 on a E1e or E2e body is nice and bright. Also the Surefire L4 is bright putting out a huge spill of light with less throw than the G2 and KL1.

FNG

Enlightened
Why not a Streamlight TL-3 Xenon for <$60? Incredibly bright, long throw, and extra lamp in the head.

davidra

Enlightened
Hey, for a car light and walk the dog light, and to solve the LED vs. incan issue, get one light with both. While it's not too fancy or sexy, the TT 2L will meet all your needs for considerably less money than you're talking about here. It won't throw like a pro, but the incan is definitely bright enough for almost all average uses. The LEDs are not hot either, but for walking outside, they work fine and you've always go the option of the incan. A very useful inexpensive light.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

True... The 2L Twin Task is probably my very favorite light.

You could get the 2L TT and have enough left over to buy a Quantum I and still come in under budget. Not quite as bright as the QIII, but the same form factor.

MJRMetalworks

Newly Enlightened
Wolfen,

Thanks for the compliment. Some day I'll offer up a knife or a hawk for a high-end trade, but right now I'm backordered about 7 knives. Not that I'm complaining mind you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Actually I fell in love with the Aleph the first time I saw it! So as soon as I get caught up....

- Mike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif