Anyone else using this nice cheapie incan lantern?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.rayovac.com/products/flashlights/kids.shtml

Expand the pic; it's the lantern on the left. It comes in several colors that are translucent. It's marketed as a kids lantern, but there's nothing about it other than the bright colors to diminish it. Cost is around $7.

Anyway, I've been using mine with a 4.8V/.8A bulb and IC3 NiMH's. 2.25 hr runtime, very bright, and very white light. This is due in part to running the brighter than .5A stock bulb at specs with the NiMH's, and because of the really nice diffuser ROV uses. The diffuser is tubular with raised bumps all over it in a straight, lined pattern. The result is that the light source appears very white (mine is even slightly blue, perhaps due to the blue plastic base on the one I have) and seems to be a floating .75" tubular source of light within the diffuser. No filament or bulb is visible at all, and it's a really nice, good looking effect. The color temp is also much warmer than similar priced led or fluro lanterns, making the overall use as an area light more pleasant; YMMV. The output is greater than the Energizer Trailblazer CCFT, Osram Mini Dulux fluro, and Energizer led lantern, all using 4AA, except for the Osram which uses 2. Remember that all the above lanterns are really 180 degree light sources. The Rayovac is 360. The switch is a rotating one with only on and off positions, but with a nice tactile click to it.

This combo runs with a very flat discharge cycle, all the way up to the end; in effect, "regulated". The .5A lamp isn't horrible either. Runs at 3.5 hours with a less bright and warmer color output.

This was such a good performer IMO for such little money and effort, I wanted to see if anyone else who likes things like this has found it yet and used it in this fashion. I know some have been modded w/ luxeons, and in truth this is why I bought mine. But the output with an Everled SE is no match for the incan, and avoids all the luxeon heat issues as the bulb pedestal is plastic.

I took a few pics, but couldn't successfully capture what it looks like in real life.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Re: Anyone else using this nice cheapie incan lant

I have seen those at Walmart and have thought about modding it with about 4 or 8 LEDs. I have a few PR17 bulbs that would make for a long runtime at 4.9v .33A but LEDs would be better.
I have a dorcy lantern that is a sealed dome version using a 6v battery I plan to mod also.

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was impressed too, my wife bought the light for the kids, and when I saw it, I thought it was an LED with the stock buld, VERY nice output. But since then, I don't where the varmints lost it.

Illuminated

Enlightened
WARNING !!! I have bought a few of these and bulb socket polarity has been reversed (neg tip) on some. ALWAYS CHECK BEFORE USING EVERLED OR SIMILAR PR-TYPE REPLACEMENTS!!!

They're easy enough to fix, though, if you're handy with a screwdriver and soldering iron.

O-ring sealed throughout - and dunkable - it floats. Very nice light for cheap. Also very lightweight compared to C/D cell lanterns.

Modded one with Q2H HD and uFlex driver for backpacking. 12 hrs run time on high w/E2 AA lithiums or 5-1/2 hrs with alks.

Orig incan w/alkalines was actually too bright for what I wanted it for, but it is amazing the size of the area you can light up with it in near total darkness.

Reminds me...gotta buy a few more of those things before they're discontinued or something.

John

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

I doubt they will be discontinued any time soon walmart stocks the item and gets them in all the time

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Rayovac also has a non-kiddie version which looks a bit different, but is pretty much the same light. It does have a push button switch instead of the twist one, though, which is nice and easier to activate one-handed. The handle seems a bit flimsier, as a down side. It has a name which has escaped me, and they use it for a new line of cheap flashlights that have a similar styling.