Gift Ideas for... my parents.

CQB

Enlightened
hey there!

I've been trying to decide on a couple of flashlights to give my mom & dad this Christmas. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I dont want them to be too expensive - in case they lose them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

But at the same time, I want them to be "decent" lights, dependable, bright, small form factor (pocket or purse), and can take a drop or two.

Usage would include general use around the house (indoors) as well as for walking out at night (outdoors).

Budget: say, $60 USD max EACH. (I have to save $$ for my OWN gift(s) to myself, eh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

Battery: I suppose regular AA, AAA, etc instead of 123s, although I could always ensure they are well stocked with 123s.

Runtime: not too worried about this, actual overall usage is predicted to be limited.

Suggestions for either Incans or LEDs are both welcome. I am well aware of the pro's and con's for either types of lights... which is why I am having a hard time making up my friggin mind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif And I think I would like to only consider production lights - of course, I guess it'd be difficult to find a "mod" light that is under $60 USD, eh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Considering:
- SL TwinTasks (maybe the 1L or 2L),
- SL Jr Luxeon
- SF G2, 6P...

Tks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
CQB

ps. Man I hope you guys bring up a light that isnt too expensive but is still good with o/p & throw. My head hurts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up a G2 in yellow for my mother-in-law. She keeps getting these lights from that tend to be horribly dim, lousy beams and tend to fail when she needs them. For example, she got this rechargable spotlight. One night the dog went crazy and something was in her yard. She goes out with the light and... Dies. I wanted to get her something that she can count on. The yellow seems to be ideal as it is easy to spot on the counter (a plus when it is so small compared to her other lights).

I picked up a SL TT 1L today and I didn't really like it. Seems too big (although non-flashaholics probably wouldn't notice) and the beam quality is so-so. Perhaps the TT 2L makes this up with brightness.

I also picked on one of these Luxeon lights from Sharper Image. At $30, it's a steal and I think it would be a great gift light. For the price, you could thow in a box of batteries! :) (or a G2! :)

-john

iddibhai

Enlightened
if this is to be an EDC type, then one of the lux powered lights is the way to go, single battery to stash in purse/bag, whatever like the CMG Ultra. if they live in an area where power outages are common, then a D cell multi-LED is the way to go or a CF lantern. for around the house/car/garage, the streamlight lux jr is very nice default choice.

i'd really not give incandescents. in the end, it depends on what you think they need and use it for. but cheers for the idea, and best wishes. FWIW, got my dad an E2/KL1 (the "middle style", pre-tulip, but HD and pyrex so nice tint). BST can be your friend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

or if they have mags, what about a drop-in? or Dat's sandwiches? for walking, something like 2AA madmax, or the production LS based lights have nice throw/spill and good runtime. plus very noticeable tint. a light and NiMh batts/charger would work swell.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nuwai Q3 would be nice, except for the 1 hr runtime. Else a Tektite Splashlite Led or Luxeon is also a very neat, small package for good output/runtime. If you can afford to, then the KL1/E1e combo or even just the KL1/VG FB1 is a nice light for most ppl I would think.
Eternalights run 3AAs and are always handy to have around... Else I'd have to agree with the Minimags with a sandwich for great output/runtime... Hmm.. can't think of anymore small, AA lights for now...

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello CQB,

I would consider the Peak AA lights. For a whiter tint, go with the Snow LED's and be sure to specify a High Power light (over the normal ones).

To spice things up, I can tell you that the Brass High Power AA with 5 LED's and a Lithium AA battery, is very nice to look at and hold. Then there is the stainless version as well.

If you put a Lithium battery in an AA or AAA light, your parents may never have to worry about changing the battery (depending on usage, of course).

Check them out at PeakLEDSolutions.com .

Tom

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Don't forget the ever popular UK 4AA eLED. Bright and simple enough for old folks like me. And a relative bargain, too.

Geoff

DaveT

Enlightened
I'd suggest:
--Streamlight Propolymer 4AA 7 LED - my mom likes this one a lot. I also gave her and dad a UK 4AA eLED, and she prefers this one - button's easier to use, it's a bit more comfortable in the hand, and it gives a broader, more even beam (of course, at the expense of shorter battery life).
--Twintask 1L or 2L. I gave the 1Ls as a gift last year - they were well received. I loaned a 2L to a buddy in Florida in the midst of the hurricanes - it was his favorite of a box of loaners I sent him, and the one he decided to pick up for himself. Also, the new 3-watt LED 2L Twintask looks like a winner, but I haven't handled one myself.
--Elektrolumens XM-3. I really like this one. 2AA, solid build, a very nice brightness and pretty decent spill. I consider this a very good price/output/runtime/sturdiness combination, and with the ability to use any flavor of AAs, you won't have to keep giving people batteries.
Those are my top suggestions.
Dave

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Unless you're in a position to keep your parents supplied with 123 batteries, I would'nt give them lights that use 123 batteries.....they can be very expensive to buy down at the local store!.

I'd recommend the Streamlight Jr LUX LED (uses 2 AA batteries) or a Streamlight TT-3C which uses 3 "C" batteries. I really like the TT-3C as a gift as it is very conventional in design....load the batteries in through the tail and push button operation with the button at the head of the light. The TT-3C also has really good runtime numbers! Both lights are in the $30 (US) range.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a thought, sometimes button switch lights are harder for older folks to use. A twisty head or tail is easier on the hands/joints. Arthritis or other strength limiting ailment can make clickie switches painful.

Good luck with your choice,
LT

greenLED

Flashaholic
I just gave my non-flashaholic mom a mini-mag with a BB400 (to replace the old Mag D-clunker I had given her years ago). She could not believe how *white* the light was compared to the incan, and how *much brighter* it was than her big flashlight... siply amazed that such a small light could give out so much light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif All this might not be 100% true to "us", but it warmed my heart to see her get all excited about this.

I was on the phone with her a while ago and she was telling me how she used it a couple of nights ago to shine her way out the house during an earthquake (she lives overseas). Another reason why I gave her an AA light and not a 123 one.

Latest posts