Gerber LX 3.0 brighter than Tec-40?!?!

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow!

i was just looking at Quickbeam's site, and noticed that the LX3.0 puts out more overall light and throws further than a Tec 40 (as well as a bunch of other well regarded lights.

anyone else amazed by this?

Bob

cognitivefun

Enlightened
my LX.30 is amazingly bright, it is my brightest Luxeon 3 light. BUT, that only lasts for a short time...due to no regulation. I am probably on the second or third hour on the AAs and it no longer has the throw it did. But it is still quite bright. I will have to figure out when to change batteries and in that case, what to do with the batteries. I hate throwing away perfectly good batteries...

Brooks

Newly Enlightened
You should use rechargable NiMH then you will not have to throw out batteries. I always leave an extra set on a smart charger and change out every so often. You just need to make sure you buy a charger system that charges batteries individually and not in pairs since the Gerber LX3.0 uses 3 batteries. Most common AA chargers charge in pairs. Batteryspace.com has a couple that charge batteries individually: http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=11 or http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=22 They also sell these chargers in combos with batteries if you need batteries too.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Gerber LX 1.0's brightness is closer to the PT40's than the LX 3.0 is.

i believe most of the 3Watt luxeon lights have similar or higher brightness than the PT40.

my FT3C was way brighter than my PT40 when shined @ the ceiling, and i believe the LX 3.0 is close to the FT3C's brightness (with less throw/more flood).

the Inova XO3 is about the same brightness as the PT40.

the Inova T3 is brighter.

Streamlight's 2L luxeon is brighter.

the Heliotek HTE-1 is almost as bright as the PT40, and it only uses a 1Watt.

and a number of others i'd imagine, but you get my point, LOL. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

where have you been, man? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

cognitivefun

Enlightened
Thank you...I do use NiMH batteries. The set in the flashlight are the batteries that came with the light. Now NiMH rechargables are in the light since I am using the light every day for extended periods of time. I hate using up batteries as it is environmentally unsound and expensive.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
"where have you been, man?"

heh...i have some overdriven 1w lights...and some lux 3's driven at 350-400 mA...but no lux3's NICELY driven!

time to upgrade my LED driver's license...

Bob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thegonagle

Newly Enlightened
I just received my Gerber LX 3.0 (Thanks, Kevin F. and Battery Station) and WOW!

It's my first Luxeon light, and I think it's just amazing.

Unfortunately, I can't compare it directly to my PT Tec-40 because my Tec-40 got "lost" when I lent it to one of my co-workers (GRRRR!) but if memory serves, I'd say the LX 3.0 the same or brighter. I make this judgement by recalling how the Tec-40 compared to a Pelican M6 incandescent, and how the LX 3.0 compares to the same.

Even if the LX 3.0 is not really brighter, it is comparable, and it's a lot cooler because it's an LED.

A question aside because I don't feel like starting a new thread:

Because the LX 3.0 is unregulated, would Lithium AA cells give me a flatter brightness curve as they're used up; i.e. would I get peak or near-peak brightness for a lot longer?

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the gerber instructions warn against using lithiums - someone else who has them handy may be able to check, I'd have to dig for a while.

chumley

Enlightened
Re: Lithium AAs in LX 3.0

I remember reading Gerber's website a while ago, and they said lithiums can be used in all of their lights, except the LX-3.