anyone seen the new BlackDiamond "Helion"?

El_Canyon

Newly Enlightened
anyone seen the new BlackDiamond \"Helion\"?

BD has a new AAA headlamp out called the "Helion". From the info on their webpage, its seems to be nothing more than a slight refinement of their "Gemini" headlamp: AAA powered, incandescent main bulb, 3 "low beam" LEDs. No regulation is mentioned. Any opinions?

helion.jpg

greenLED

Flashaholic
Re: anyone seen the new BlackDiamond \"Helion\"?

Shhweeeet!!!! I like these lamps. I've seen them go from one LED to 2, and now 3. I love these (more than I used to love my Petzls) but I'm waiting until they come up with a LED+Lux combo. Then I'm buyin' one... wait, make that 2!

EDIT: Holy....!! Did you see the Soliras? Uses a Li-on battery. Looks like they're trying to market it as a searchlight...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Re: anyone seen the new BlackDiamond \"Helion\"?

The Helion?
Add another "l" to that and you end up with a dirty word. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif :toliet: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But yeah, it is very similar to the Gemini.
Wonder what makes the Helion different. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic
New BlackDiamond headlamps

Craig, the Gemini has 2, 5mm LED's, while the Helion has 3 LEDs.

BTW, I have one of the original Geminis (green housing and all), and it has only 1 LED.

EDIT: Black Diamond *does* make a Lux&2 LED combo headlamp: Zenix IQ (the original model was just the Zenix). There's also the Nightray.

I have neither of these but remember playing with a Zenix at REI a while back. Not very impressed with it. Seemed very flimsy and cheaply made. From their description it seems like the "IQ" denomination is for some kind of regulation.

Mattman

Enlightened
Re: New BlackDiamond headlamps

The consensus has been that the Zenix is an underwhelming performer and there's not very much difference in brightness between the Lux and the 5mm's. I remember that someone took one apart and found a less than top notch low dome LED in it, which is probably to blame. I hope the IQ version is noticeably better because I generally like BD's products. The Nightray definitely looks like something I'd be interested in since it should be brighter than the Moonlight which I'm already pretty happy with.

Jerimoth

Newly Enlightened
Re: New BlackDiamond headlamps

Agreed about the Zenix- I returned it to REI. Check out the Vectra IQ- I'm planning to use it as one of my main lights for Search and Rescue. I say a few things about it in a post I put up last night.