My Dream LED Flashlight /Headlight

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
If this exists, let me know. Otherwise, hopefully someone will decide to make this soon:

Body: Waterproof / water resistant aluminum body
Power: 2 "AA" or maybe 2 "C" cell
Bulb: 5 watt Luxeon Star
Electronics: 3 brightness levels, regulated.

Can you imagine this in a package not much larger than a Mini Maglight - the "Holy Cow" brightness level might only work for 30 minutes, but that's why you have medium and low.

Perfect Headlight: Princeton Tec EOS with a 3 watt LS. Has anyone thought of modding one?

Yitah

Maglite 3D, UK Vectra 18W, UK Mini Q40, CMG Somic, PT Impact, PT Aurora, PT EOS, Petzl Tikka, Niterider 10 and 15W, Homebrew 35W HID and more.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt if 2AA would have enough juicy to drive 5W. The closest to your ideal headlight might be HDS Action Light III which has 5W LS and 25 brightness levels (regulated). However, it is driven either by 2x123 or a single rechargeable lithium ion 18650 cell. I guess Pila 168A would work as well.

Alan

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Alan said:
I doubt if 2AA would have enough juicy to drive 5W.

[/ QUOTE ]
For shure not, only LiFE ones. 4 AA ould work.

[ QUOTE ]
The closest to your ideal headlight might be HDS Action Light III ....I guess Pila 168A would work as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really: using a 'protected' cell in such a light is counterproductive. You pay more for the cell, get a lower capacity and the protection circuit may leave you without light when you need it most.

The only advantage is that a readily built charger is available right now and you do not have to buy a universal one.

This thread should be moved into the headlight section...

idleprocess

Flashaholic
2AA might be able to drive a 5W light for a short period of time... but you need to boost the nominal 2-3V to well over 7V. Watts in must be greater than watts out to the load, so at 3V you need >1.7A and at 2V you need >2.5A - both steep loads for alkaline cells.

2 C cells should be able to power a 1W light adequately for a decent period of time.

It's almost impossible to escape the 123A for high-power compact lights. Bought in moderate quantities online, 123As are only $1.00-$1.50 each.