Intellashines!

EricB

Enlightened
Just fot my Carpenter Decorating Intellishine RGB bulbs today. For weeks, I have been considering how many to get and how to light them. The company has a 25 socket light string that itself is $85! (or is that with the bulbs?) The bulbs are around $3 apiece. I didn't want to spend too much mobey, so I figured I'd get just a few, and find a power source and light string on my own. After some searching, I decided on a Radio Shack "Universal" 300mA 1.5-12 V power adapter, and I then discovered my own mother had a 6 socket Dept.56 string for those Christmas villages; that she didn't need anymore. To connect it, I got also from Radio Shack an Adaptaplug 6" Power Lead, which I connected to a female plug. I plan to get a couple of those little plastic tie straps to bind the male/female connection together so it never accidentally gets disconnected and plugged directly into the wall by anyone.(As I just told my wife; the "spectacular failure" is one light show I don't want to see from them! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So they are pretty nice. As I fugured, they look much crisper and brighter than the Kmart/Target night lights. (the colors are about the same). Just 6 is really not enough. I should get more, as I had been also planning to get a Color Kinetics iColor MR16 for my fiber optic plant, but it probably won't be bright enough to be much good, and since it uses sepatate red, green and blue (with the reds in the middle and the other colors spread around the edge), it wouldn't even mix the colors well.

The Intellishines are single RGB's, and while you can see the individual colors particularly in the yellow and white; still, the over all color output of the bulb on the diffused surface are a nicely blended. The color-changing picture of the bulb on both Carpenter and the Torch Review site seemed to show the seven colors as consisting of two reds, two oranges, blue and cyan. But perhaps this is just an error from the camera (If you look at them at different angles, the color can vary some). The seven primary, secondary, and white colors are much nicer than any separate R,G & B device (such as those cheap LED pens, in which some of the colors are either stronger or weaker, throwing the secondaries off, and makin the "white" just a pale magenta.
And as Torch Review says, they display the colors at different rates, so they are all different colors at a given time.

It will be so nice to see a tree full of these. If I didn't have to get a new computer, perhaps I would get a whole 25 piece set.

I plant to put them in the window with the two night lights and the new Forever Bright frosted 25 string I plan to get whenever I find one. (My 2 year old color set with the yellow-green, I am giving to a friend. The other window is for the whites. Another friend is asking me to get her a set of those.)

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I have a string of 8 of these plus the 12 volts DC PSU for them to suckle on.

I had them on our Christmas tree this past holiday season, and my housemate really, really, REALLY liked them.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
<font color="purple">The color-changing picture of the bulb on both Carpenter and the Torch Review site seemed to show the seven colors as consisting of two reds, two oranges, blue and cyan. But perhaps this is just an error from the camera...</font>

Precisely. My bulbs start on red, then cycle through green, blue, yellow, turquoise, purple, white and around again, then fade up and down in the same sequence of colours. It is hard to get a digital camera, however good, to accurately show the vivid colours produced by LEDs. Set the white-balance to show reds and yellows accurately and you lose the good blues and greens, likewise the other way around too. It was the best compromise I could do, made worse by the 8-bit GIF compression.

Incidentally the online world had its first look at these right here: http://torchreviews.net/ledc7.htm , before the name Intellishine appeared. Carpenters got that cycling GIF and the other photo from my page, it was part of the deal. I believe mine were the first to be festively displayed anywhere privately, along with the fixed colour blues and whites too. See more at http://displays.bulbmuseum.net (in 2003 and soon 2004 sections too).

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif