MagLite 2D simple mod?

Revierler

Newly Enlightened
Is there as simple mod for the 2D-Maglite, such as a drop-in lamp, which makes it significantly brighter?

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
Try two Elektrolumens 3AA-to-D battery holders, and use them to power an halogen HPR-51 bulb. I bought the bulb at Ace Hardware for about $6 (It's in a little drawer in a partitioned cardboard box, the bulbs are sorted by type without any packaging).

Click here for info about the HPR-51 bulb

It's slightly overdriven on 6 AA NiMH batteries (7.2v vs. the 6.5v rating). Don't try running an HPR-50 (5.2v) on this setup - you'll just instaflash the bulb. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

You could also try the Reflectalite GH24 bulb, which is brighter. You have to order it from Reflectalite, which is based in Great Britain (US $6.40 each, $3.20 shipping per order)

Reflectalite halogen bulb information page

Alternatively, you could just buy an EverLED replacement bulb. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I was fooling around with my new "white" High Dome Everled earlier.

I tried it first in the 2AA Garrity Steel Beam light that is worthless with any other light source besides the Teal SE Everled I already owned. The new Eled was much dimmer and had a beam with a holey center.

So I dug around in the container that holds my lights (getting packed up for a move ya know) and got out a green 2D M*g that has always seemed to have more resistence than any other 2D. It has a Writerighted lense and had a Krypton bulb. I popped 2 good D cells and the White Everled in there. Not too shabby, but somewhat dim. So in went three C cells. Ah, sweet spot!

It is rather blueish of beam, but it makes a beautiful beam.

I really need to take that light apart and clean everything, but for now it's fine like it is.

Everleds are not cheap, but they work!

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried a HPR50 bulb with two EL 3AA to Ds with rechargables. It did blow the third time I turned it on. The ACE store didn't have any HPR51s.

I have ordered the GH24s, so I guess it is best I just wait for those. Thanks Hooked.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I Just got my GH24's yesterday. All I can say is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gif. I tried the GH24 with the following configuration: Mag 2C, MOP cammed reflector, UCL lens. I tried it using both 3xC123's and 2xPila 150A's.

If there was any difference between the Pilas and the C123's, it was not descernable to my naked eye by the time I changed battery setups. Maybe a side by side comparison would show a difference. After 15 minutes of operation the C123's (drawing 1.7A) became very warm/hot. The Pilas (drawing 1.8A) remained at ambient temperature.

I don't think the C123's like the high current draw, but the Pilas seem fine with it.

A side by side visual comparison with an Ultra Stinger, showed the Ultra Stinger a slight winner in throw, but the GH24 was the definite winner in light output. The GH24 had a wider stronger beam, and better side spill than the Ultra Stinger.

Short of finding a reflector better suited to the GH24 (maybe an SMO or LOP) to give more throw, I think this is the ideal simple (no skill required) Mag 2C/2D mod.

As always, the quest for more lumens and throw continues.

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
Did you have to rig up some sort of sleeve or holder for the Pilas (PVC pipe, rubber tubing, etc.) to fit in the Mag 2C?

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just stirred the ol' scrap.. er raw materials pile till a clear plastic tube (from something long ago forgotten) came to the surface. You could probably use a couple of paper towel or TP carboard tubes cut to size. Almost anything you can think of will work.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was able to just drop in three 123's into my 2C mag without any sleeve and they stay in place. Of course I want to get a sleeve. In fact last night I was at Lowes, so I go to the hoses and wait for someone in the area to show up. After ten minutes I give up and just cut a foot of the 3/4 inch hose noting it was 98 cents. I get to the front to buy it and they say with out a number on it I can't buy it. So, I hand it to them and say, OK I won't buy it. Grrr

Any way, good to hear about the GH24s. I will try them on 3x123s and 2x3AAtoDs V2 filled with rechargables. I just ordered the GH24's yesturday so I guess I still have a long wait.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
wallyrulz said:
About how long do the GH24's take to deliver?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ordered GH24's on 17 Nov. Recieved order on 29 Nov. Not too shabby considering it was from across the pond (better than a lot of orders from CONUS).

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny how different locations of the same store have wildly different 'policies'... Last week, I went into Lowes to get some of that coated wire cable stuff for a project. There was a 3.5 foot length already cut so I got that and two ends. I told the lady the item number but she just charged me for the ends.

Sorry for going off topic.