Coast Cutlery lights?

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
While in Frys I saw some rather interesting looking lights made by Coast Cutlery or something to that effect. They don't show up on any of my favorite review sites though. Any users out there? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chiphead

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,
I had the same question about 4 weeks ago. Do a search for "coast cutlery" as the title of the thread. Basically, you'll find that they are overdriven LED's with not enough heat dissipation and not much light. If you want a really good LED light, go with the tri-star phazer, i havent really heard anything bad about it yet and i'm about to order one. try
www.flashlightreviews.com and look for "elektrolumens tristar phazer.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had one of the 3xN cell Coasts. Very brief review.... on a scale of 1-10, I'd probably give it an 8 on a general 'how cool it looked in the package' and how I liked it before I turned it on and used it. And about a 3 or 4 on goodness as a light.

There are better lights out there for sure. Generally for less money. I know Frys is known for some pretty good prices, but here, Meijers and Lowes carries them (or Coast rebranded) and they are just too much for what you're getting.

OddOne

Enlightened
Coast is the U.S. distributor for LED Lenser, a line of LED flashlights from a German optoelectronics company. They don't actually make the lights themselves although they do co-brand them.

They're decent but not spectacular. However, they do make great sources for modding if you're not interested in spending a huge amount of $ on the base for a mod.

I like 'em personally, but then again I don't have the budget for the truly high-end lights like the small-production and one-offs you find among the CPF.

I have a preview of their upcoming 3-watter - and my mods to it - posted on my LED site.

oO

thatguy

Newly Enlightened
I have only one light from them, and it is the 3 N cell one. I have to agree that I haven't been too impressed with it. The little rubber switch cover only stayed in place two days, and some other sites have reported similar problems. There is a little resistor in the tailcap, but it still is seriously overdriven.

The one cool thing about these lights is that the LED leads are cut short and pressed into a little socket. If you want to switch LEDs, all you have to do it pull out the old one, and push in any new one you want after you trim the leads. I added another resistor to get the current down to specs, and then put in this cool color changing LED from lsdiodes.com. Now its like a little party on my pocket.

All in all, this was a pretty lame light, especially for the price.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 6 chip one. Man its bright and bluish. Its 100 times brither than the single aaa dorcey led light. I use it for reading. Its more of a flood beam, not much throw, then again it has no optics. As for the 1 watters, its a lottery to get a white one. They sell them at lowes and the packages allow you to turn them on and test the beams.