Trying to find if thors can run off car battery

Jon03

Newly Enlightened
I have been doing google searches and amazon.com searches and ebay searches all up and down the line, and I am quite flustered on the power option status of thor lights. Can someone point me to or describe the different 10Mcp thor lights (i have seen different looking ones... are they all the same truley?) and which ones are able to run off the DC power from your car? This is what i need the most, because we use it in a car, and the one we got before dies so fast.

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, mine can quite happily using the supplied adaptor.

I wouldn't suggest running it like that for long without the engine running though. Otherwise you'll get that lovely dead battery feeling when you try to start the car.

Jon03

Newly Enlightened
no worries for that... we drive around while using it... that's what makes this such a nice situation (-:

We'll probably mount it on a hook in the car via the shoulder strap for a gunner n' turret feel *grins at the suggestion of this newfound entertainment venture*

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Re: Trying to find if thors can run off car batter

If it isn't listed as water resistant somewhere I would limit use in the wet weather, I don't think 12v will hurt you but if the lens/bulb get very hot and a cold drop of water hit it you could crack a glass lens and water could get down into the seams of the light causing corrosion perhaps or even shorting out something if there is any dust/dirt inside to help conduct electricity across a connection.

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast

If your hands are wet, 12 volts will hurt, SLAs can put out tons of current and for that reason are dangerous. Although the whole body is plastic, so you're pretty safe from that standpoint (12 volts would have a hard time getting out of the light).

The Thor is vented on the sides, so hardly water resistant.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

Unless your hand is really salty I doubt you could even get a shock out of an SLA due to the high resistance your skin on your hand has, otherwise people would get electrocuted working on their car electrical systems with sweaty hands. Amperage does kill but you have to get current to flow by overcoming high resistance with higher voltages. I think you could drop two battery cables off a car battery into a tub of fresh water and nothing would happen, but start adding salt and the fun begins. 12v and fresh/rain water doesn't conduct well at all it is impure water that lowers the resistance to a point conduction can happen otherwise they would waterproof car battery terminals to keep rain from shorting them out.

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yup, you're right, forget the electrocution risk. I was thinking of the guys with a wedding ring getting electrocuted working on a car, or guy with metal watch although even that doesn't do more than give you a shock. Then on that site they have a woman holding the leads off a 12 volt SLA. So, must be safe. I'm going to go and lick my fingers and put then across the SLA I have. If I don't post tomorrow, you know what happened.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

LOL, just don't stick it on your tongue the resistance of it is considerably lower. I looked it up for fun and one site said the resistance of skin varies from 500-1000ohms wet to 1500+ohms damp to even higher dry so at the most you could get about 24milliamps current conduction and it takes 100ma to electrocute and that has to pass through the heart which means you have to touch something on the other side of your body. I figure you may be able to feel something sticking your fingers in salt water then touching two of them to an SLA. I used to chuckle at people when I was working on computers they were scared I could get electrocuted touching the hard drives and motherboard. I had to tell em I only had to be cautious around the power supply and switch. If 12v could electrocute I would have been dead 20 times jump starting people in the rain over the years.

Oh, and come to remember it, I missed a question on my EET class that was multiple choice and it said 100ma could kill you and I said... umm no, not unless it was high enough voltage. My professor wouldn't back me on that so I almost attacked him with a single D cell battery threatening to kill him by electrocution to prove him right.

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast

LA,

Heck no, my tongue is reserved for checking 9 volt cells. Well, at least we figured out 2 things, 1) that a Thor is not waterproof, and 2) if you take it out in the rain, you won't die, and that's a comforting thought to me.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

I dunno about that.... you could heat it up really hot running it and stick it out in the rain the cold water could shatter the lense and a shard of glass could poke through your brain killing you perhaps, or you could slip and fall and the light could hit you on the head causing a brain hemmorage. Or someone could see you in the rain with it and get mad you shined it on them, sneak up on you grab it from you and beat you to death with it. Looks like to me you are taking your chances with this light.... may be dangerous... use with caution.

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast

One thing of note, if the bulb's hot (i.e. running or just having been running) and water hits it, it will explode. It will also release a huge amount of gunk (oxidised filament) if it's on at the time, probably wrecking the reflector.

This happened to me on a car about a year ago, tiny crack in the headlight. I was washing the car and had the lights on (was a dark evening at a garage), and BANG, out went the light, and the entire thing filled up with smoke. Reflector was scrap.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
cheesehead said:
I was thinking of the guys with a wedding ring getting electrocuted working on a car,

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't get electrocuted in those cases. The ring will get so hot that your finger will be burnt to the bone. Slipping the ring off afterwards usuially leaves just bone and tendon as the flesh come with it.

Latest posts