Home computers in 2004

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember this anyone? These things should be due out this year according to this article:

2004computer.jpg

raggie33

*the raggedier*
weird bindi so very weird less then 1 hour ago i was thinking about hpw ;lpmg agp was are hpme pc the size of a main frame

Starlight

Enlightened
I have an electronic address book in my pocket that has more memory than the NASA computer used during the moon landing in 1969.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Hm. I looked at that B&W photo and thought it interesting that the model had a steering wheel of some sort.

At a second glance, the photo of that guy and the retro TV are a bit out of scale...

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Starlight said:
I have an electronic address book in my pocket that has more memory than the NASA computer used during the moon landing in 1969.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hard to believe what feats were accomplished 35 years ago with relatively primitive equipment. I wonder if men (or women) will walk on the moon again in our lifetimes.

Brightnorm

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Maybe if the Chinese announce they're heading for the Moon it would trigger another space race. After the Russians launched the Sputnik in 1957, it was less than a decade from the time JFK announced the moon as a target that man actually landed there.

"...I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to the earth. No single space project in this period will be more impressive to mankind, or more important for the long-range exploration of space; and none will be so difficult or expensive to accomplish...
"...But in a very real sense, it will not be one man going to the moon -- if we make this judgment affirmatively, it will be an entire nation. For all of us must work to put him there."

Frame57

Newly Enlightened
The main picture is of the manuvering room control panels from a nuclear submarine. From left to right, the steam plant control panel (SPCP), the reactor plant control panel (RPCP), and the electrical plant control panel (EPCP). The wheels on the SPCP are the main engine throttles, the big wheel is the ahead (forward) throttle and the small wheel is the astern (reverse) throttle.

Jim Skinner

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah...looks a little familiar. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

<= former nuke ET

Mark

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I served on the USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70), but prototype was at Charleston, so I did some time on the USS Samuel Rayburn (SSBN/MTS-635)...

Mark

evanlocc

Enlightened
50 years later, Home computer with 512bit CPU will not be bigger than your watch today.

.............................If computer is still need.

Frame57

Newly Enlightened
Minjin

I did Nuclear Power School at Orlando, Florida (Class 8804) and prototype at S5G at NPTU Idaho Falls, Idaho. The family and I went to Orlando this summer on holiday and all of NTC Orlando has been torn down and turrned into a housing development.

Jim Skinner