Switch problems with my U2

carmel

Newly Enlightened
I just received my U2, and it doesn't work! Apparently a short in the switch: it keeps going on and off. When finally on, even a slight touch of the rubber switch cover makes it flicker on and off. It will only turn on at all when the switch is as screwed in as tightly as I can get it, and even then it will switch off and on (but mostly off) after a few seconds. Tried new batteries, and everything else I could think of. Anybody else have this problem?

carmel

grnamin

Enlightened
Carmel, try this: cut a paperclip, bend it into the shape and diameter of the rim of the U2's body that the clickie switch screws onto and then insert it into the switch itself, past the threads, to enhance contact and see if that helps. If that doesn't work, there may be a problem with the switch. Do you have another clickie or lockout tailcap you can try?

turbodog

Flashaholic
The clickie looks like it will come apart easily enough. I'd take it apart and see what I could do with it.

Flashdark

Enlightened
carmel,

Don't fool with it. If it isn't right, it isn't worth fooling with. Call Surefire and get a replacement Z-59.

carmel

Newly Enlightened
grnamin

Other tailcaps don't fit the U2--at least my L5 tailcap did not.

turbodog,

If SF can't get a $270. tailcap right, I'm not going to fool with it, other than normal troubleshooting stuff (clean contacts, good spring contact, etc).

Flashdark

You're right; I have. I just hope they fix it faster than they manufactured the light!

carmel

carmel

Newly Enlightened
Oh, yeah, grnamin,

When I pay $270. for a flashlight, I am not going to insert a paperclick to make it work right!

carmel

turbodog

Flashaholic
All I'm talking about is a quick look around. I had a clickie cap on my e1e do about the same thing. Took apart, inspected, no problem found, reassembled, been working fine ever since.