I did hit a homerun

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got a surprise from UPS today. The delivery of the SL JR & TL-2(3Watt). They are both fine lights and the JR is a lot brighter than the MiniM@g AA, blows the snot out of it. There is no flicker in my The TL-2L(3watt) on low mode either. The SL JR blows the snot out of the MiniM@g both in overall beam output and throw, I was pleasantly surprised. The TL-2L(3watt) has a usefull beam out to 75 to 100'. Of course usefull is a vague term but as I define it, if I can see my dogs out there on the range at that distance than it is then usefull /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hope you all get your fill of turkey bird tomorrow, for those who celibrate this holiday anyway. I realize this is an international forum with people from all over the world contributing to this addiction of flashaholicism /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Dave

DragonFlame

Newly Enlightened
And what would you say about the low setting? Is it usefull as well? Is it putting out a usefull amount of light at aprox. 20 feet? Could you follow a forest path at night with the low beam?
I'm asking all these questions because I've seen a really focused hot-spot in the new Streamlight and I'm wondering whether the sidespill is enough for illuminating such a nigh-time trail.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I see you must be talking about the SL TL-2L 3W luxeon since you refer to a low beam. The Luxeon has a throw on low mode that will easily light a path out to 40' or more depending how one defines useful. I would say a minimum of 40' if not more in low mode for navigating through the woods like I just got doing about 20 minutes ago...

DragonFlame

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, it was very helpful. By the way, do you know anything about the Streamlight 3AA 1W Luxeon? Do you know whether it is comparable to the low mode in the new 3W lithium?

DragonFlame

Newly Enlightened
Oh, and another thing regarding the SL TL 3W. Is the sidespill wide enogh to offer visibilty at 4-5 feet to the left or right from the main beam? Again I reffer to the situation of navigating a night-time trail through the woods.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
As another SL TL 3W owner, I'll jump in here. The hi beam is a nice hotspot with a fairly large spill surrounding it. Not surprisingly, the low beam is exactly the same pattern, but dimmer. I would estimate maybe 3-4' spill on each side of hotspot.

In sum, on low beam you do have enough light for navigating trails, and you can quickly go to hi when you get to an area where you need it.

I'm also a nighttime hiker, searching for the perfect combination. I think my preference in a perfect world would be a strong spot with little/no spill for distance spotting, and a strong pure flood for illuminating where you're walking. With the SL TL 3W on hi, the surrounding spill is a bit distracting, as is the hotspot on low.
Something like a combo model with a T3 beam on hi, and an X5 flood on low would be great, but I don't know if the technology is there for that combination.

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
DragonFlame said:
Thanks, it was very helpful. By the way, do you know anything about the Streamlight 3AA 1W Luxeon? Do you know whether it is comparable to the low mode in the new 3W lithium?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have both the SL 3AA 1W Luxeon and the 2L 3W Luxeon. The
3AA 1W is brighter and sightly larger in diameter than the
2L 3W in the low beam. The 2L 3W is much brighter that the
3AA 1W when used in the high beam. The 2L also seems to have
more spill than the 3AA. I like both lights, however,
I'm quickly moving to the 2L because of the dual mode.

Tom /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

DragonFlame

Newly Enlightened
Yes, AFAustin, that was I was looking for as well. Focused beam on high and more of a flood on low. Even though the new SL 3W doesn't exactly fit that description, it seems a good combination of the two features (anyway, one of the better amongst the lights I have read about). IMO, this issue could be solved by manufacturing a focusable 2 stage light. Defocusing in low mode would provide more of a flood light. But I guess it hasn't been done yet, has it?
All in all, I understand that you recommend the new SL 3W for these night-time hiking purposes.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
AS AFAUSTIN stated, you can easily negotiate through the trails in the deepest part of the forest without a worry while in low mode. If you feel a need you have an option to go to high mode and check out that coyote that crossed the trail 75yds ahead of you. I know, I have access to many trails and use the 2L-3W nightly, you will not be disappointed...

DragonFlame

Newly Enlightened
OK, seems you have convinced me on the usefulness of the 2L. The only reason I haven't decided to order it yet is about cost. I still haven't figured out whether I'm actually going to need the high mode. If I won't be using it too much, I was thinking perhaps the 3AA might be a better choice considering the cost.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another good option would be the SL JR Luxeon. It runs on x2 Alkaline "AA" Cells and I run mine on NiMH's. It is brighter than the SL TL-2L 3watt Lux on Low Mode. It put's out a nice useable flood out to 40 - 50' and will illuminate object's even farther away. To me, it is a step above a walking light. I have seen the price on this light as low as $25. This light is regulated and I can't personally think of a better deal for the price... You can use it as an edc light. Some people balk at the size and I kind of laugh because it is the same size in length and in some cases diameter as a ball point pen. People come up with all kinds of excuses why they cannot justify the purchase of a particular torch and I just laugh because it is these same people who don't think twice when they will spend three or four times as much for basically the same end result... But hey, we all have our hobbies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Nighttime Hiking Combination

Came up with a little variation tonight that seemed to work well in maneuvering through some woods at night. A Gerber Trio in my right hand, constantly on, and the SL 2L-3W in my right, switching back and forth between off, hi, and low as the situation and terrain called for. I like the Trio's beautiful wide flood for the immediate path (not to mention the long runtime on cheap AAs), and the SL was great for spotting. The hi beam on the SL was good enough to pinpoint a decent size buck bedded down in some thick brush---before I got close enough that I really would have disturbed his rest (and pissed him off).

It's also more comfortable (for me, anyway), to be able to hold the SL "underhanded" as I walk, rather than have to jerk it up and hold it "tactically" like the tail clickie models (e.g., my T3).

Just a thought, as the search for the "ideal" nighttime hiking setup continues....

DragonFlame

Newly Enlightened

Yes, AFAustin, at one time I was considering de Trio as well (I still think of it as a great light). The Gerber LX1 is another light I also considered useful for night-time hiking. Still, I wanted something that would have good throw (just in case) and I wasn't too thrilled about carrying 2 lights (if backpacking, an extra light may not seem that much, but you know how it all adds up in the end). I don't think I could have resisted in taking both lights, although I realise it may noy have been the wisest. So I chose somewhat of a compromise (hope it won't disappoint me, but seeing what you guys had to say, I think it won't). Throw will be great in the SL 3W, and hopefully the low beam will provide the flood I hope for.
BTW, guys, thank you all for sharing all this info, it really helped clear up a lot of things regarding the 3W SL.

Wrangler

Enlightened

As I mentioned in another thread already:
the SL 2L 3W Lux is a very useful and well made flashlight.
Decent throw and spill and long runtime on low.
The low mode is enough for most of my needs.
I can recommend that light (especially for those who missed
4sevens modded nuwai)
Next possibility would be carrying an Inova T3 for throw and a X5T for closer tasks. (I`m also a fan of Inova`s /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Wolfgang