The Streamlight JR & "AA" NiMH's

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The Streamlight JR & \"AA\" NiMH\'s

I'm doing it, using an El Cheapo Rayovac charger and a pair of Rayovac NiMH AA's. The charger and batts cost something like $15 at Wal-mart. I now use the SL Jr. guilt-free, and pop the batteries in the charger from time to time to keep them happy. I can't tell any difference in output or beam quality using the NiMHs vs. Alkys. "Free" light is good.

best regards

Boris

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
MrMom said:
Runs longer on NiMh than on alks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is that real?

freefall8

Newly Enlightened

The NiMH batteries work great. I have been using the 2100 and 2300mAh AAs without any problems.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast

I broke down the other day to buy a 4pk of the new 2500 mAH Energizers which I am conditioning right now. They do work out great and with the 2500 mAH NiMH's it will more than double the runtime over the alkalines...

Jaslight

Newly Enlightened

Does it work good with fuel cell batteries?

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Anyone find a good solution for the problem of the Streamlight Jr. not firing up when the battery voltage dips below 1.6V?
I've been caught with a dead light when using it, because the light output only dips about 20% from the point where the batteries are fully charged to the point where one of the cells dropping out. It's basically impossible to tell when the batteries have gone down below the turn on threshold, because once on, it'll let you continue using them into deep discharge, even down to 0.75V where still it puts out almost 25% of full light output. You won't be able to tell without a meter-
Problem is when you switch it off, it won't turn back on again unless the batteries are able to recover to the 1.6V minimum threshold.
The Newbeam red LED indicator would be a pretty handy feature to have in this- otherwise, the only solution I know of is to make sure you keep freshly charged batteries in it at all times, or have your backup light handy...

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast

I usually don't let mine get that low. I swap out 2500mAH NiMH's every three days whether they need changing or not. I do know the JR dropped out of regulation with voltage reading .95 & 1.015 in the two cells, I checked this out the other night.

rdshores

Enlightened

Don't turn it off in the middle of a project. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu

The first couple of times that my Jr. failed to light really threw me for a loop. I was convinced there was something wrong with the switch or something. Now I carry a couple of spare cells when I'm on walks. Recharging the NiMH cells before they're fully exhausted makes sense too.

JanCPF

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
PhotonBoy said: Recharging the NiMH cells before they're fully exhausted makes sense too.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sure does. Deep discharge of NiMH cells will kill them AFAIK.

Jan

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
rdshores said:
Don't turn it off in the middle of a project. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that'd be what you have to do if you have no other options. Only problem is that it might be driving the one of the cells into reverse charge without knowing it- the method of regularly swapping out fully charged cells would be one way to minimize that possibility. Can't say that'd be something I'd want to do though- I generally like to give them a full cycle instead of continually topping them off.

Best thing to do is to carry spare batteries, and periodically turn off the light and back on while using it.

That acts as a check that one of your cells didn't drop out, if you're using rechargeables. That'd help prevent you from trashing them, if you care to preserve them at all-

In an emergency and you're caught without spare batteries, and must have light, then do what rdshores said, and don't turn it off, or it won't come back on again.