Introducing... another Milky Creation!!!

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
Scott and I have been working together on a couple of projects, so I have decided to post this one with Scott's blessings. The starting point was an ARC 1xAA twisty.

The goal: graft an e-series head to the 1xAA body.

Scott is still coming up with a name for the one. (I will refer to it as the Mini-e for the time being)

The base components:

bored_ehead.jpg
micro-e_hdint.jpg
micro-e_apart.jpg

E-series head (the LA spacing post has been bored out and the centre hole widened to 3/8")
Custom eSink for HD Luxeon
Custom eCan 'wee-can /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
TV0J LuxeonIII Emitter
ARC 1xAA Twisty tailcap (bored out to fit a 123 cell)
MM+/WO

The standard eSink was made for a side-emitter and did not place the HD emitter far enough into the reflector, so a new eSink was machined that placed the emitter on a slight pedestal (also handy for centering the emitter).

The ARC 1xAA twisty was bored out to fit a CR123 battery.

The headspacing was critical for the –ve body connection and there was not a lot of room to play with, so a shortened eCan was machined from brass.

The assembled pill:
micro-e_pill.jpg

Beamshot at 5', Mini-e on the left, McLux DB917/TX1J/S017XA on the right:
beamshot_micro-e.jpg

I know, I know, comparing it against a DB917 is overkill, but it was all that I had handy...

Here's a quick size comparison of the Mini-e:

L to R: E1e, FireflyII, Milky's Mini-e, ARC LS First run
shorty_compare.jpg

It's the shortest one of the bunch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hopefully Scott can post some real (read: better) photos when he receives the light.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Introducing... Mini-e, another Milky Creation!

Well, Raymond gives me too much credit for this. Yes, the concept was a product of my own milky-spittled brain, but it never would have come into existence if Raymond hadn't spent a fair amount of time creating the parts!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Can't wait to get this one... I'm like a little kid waiting for Christmas. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The MM+/WO ought to give some excellent output off a fresh 123 cell. Not sure what type of optic or reflector Raymond used... I'll guess SO17XA for now... but this little guy ought to turn out to be a good performer! A little boxy in the lines as far as aesthetics, but somehow it fits, kind of like some sort of modernist design. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And so small! Thank you, Raymond. You're the best! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Wonder how it compares with the size of the MilkMite?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Did I mention thank you, Raymond? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
sometimes, men want it short /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
cool light!
bernhard

P.S:: what optical element were you using, guys?

wasabe64

Flashaholic*

Bernhard, what this light lacks in length, it makes up for it in girth. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As for the optics, I'm using the stock e-head reflector which offered a tighter beam.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Raymond, that surprises me... the stock E1E reflector projects a tighter beam than an SO17XA? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

wasabe64

Flashaholic*

The E-series reflector offers a slightly tighter hotspot than the S017XA, with a wider corona. Performance-wise the two reflectors were very close. I had already established the seating depth for using a HD Luxeon with the stock reflector so I opted to keep that configuration.