Luxeon III bin codes

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I know. I did search but came up empty. Can someone point me to a bin code chart for III's?
TIA

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
It's under the "technical Support" dropdown on the left. A direct link would be
http://home.comcast.net/~theledguy/bin_codes/index.htm

On my private copy I annotated the tint chart as follows:

[ QUOTE ]

New Bin Coding System Chart - Colored
The new bin chart is overlayed on top of the color chart and the old bin chart. The blocks are randomly colored in to make it easy to see the relationships of the Y with the W with the V. V is actually slightly yellow, as indicated by the color behind the chart. X is slightly green and W is slightly pink. Y is slightly blue. The tints ending in O are closest to pure white.
LuxeonBinningColourChart.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And here's the updated chart where the colored squares match the tint portrayed in the chart.
LuxeonBinningColourC.gif

Leow

Newly Enlightened
Re: Luxeon III bin codes - Vf v efficiency ?

Is a T-binned LuxIII with a low Vf more efficient than a T-binned LuxIII with a high Vf?

Hence would a TV1J have the same brightness as a TV1L if both are driven at 900mA (but use less power) ?

LeoW

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast

A J bin Vf is lower than a K or L bin, so the voltage required to drive the LED to a particular ma of drive current will be lower. This will lead to greater efficiency since (Vf x current = power).

In order to really take advantage of this "potential efficiency improvement", you need to couple it to a driver board which will efficiently manage conversion of the excess incoming battery voltage to current.

If you are using a battery arrangement which has excess voltage, and you couple it to a resistor to manage the current, your gains are more or less lost.

To put this in perspective to other factors, a high quality window on your light (such as an ultra clear lens from flashlightlens.com) can do almost as much to improve output as a bin change in the Vf. Similar gains in overall output efficiency are possible by carefully managing the heat extraction from the LED (since heat decreases light output) and light management from a quality reflector or other optical system.

The fun of course is to make this all work together in a nice package.

Leow

Newly Enlightened

Thanks Harry,

I'm going to be using a VIP driver board (constant current).

I have 2 XM3's one of which will be given as a present.
One LED has a lower Vf (3.25v) than the other (3.45v).
I don't know the BIN code so I'll keep the lower Vf one in the XM3 that I'll be keeping to mod.

I may try and buy a T-Bin lux and I'll look for a low Vf for that.

LeoW

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast

Do all the III's start with "T"? How would a TWAK break down compared to a TWOJ? Or a TXOK?

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Leow said:

Is a T-binned LuxIII with a low Vf more efficient than a T-binned LuxIII with a high Vf?

Hence would a TV1J have the same brightness as a TV1L if both are driven at 900mA (but use less power) ?

LeoW

[/ QUOTE ]

The question you asked was about brightness efficiency. I'd interpret that as lumens per watt of input power.

The TV1J will consume less power at 700ma than the TV1L and will generate less heat. There is no garantee that one will be brighter than the other. Either one can be from 67.2 to 87.4 lumens.

I don't think anyone has been able to test large groups of similar luxeons to see if, in general, the lower VF provide more lumens per watt.

Daniel

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
sunspot said:
Do all the III's start with "T"? How would a TWAK break down compared to a TWOJ? Or a TXOK?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen S and T ratings for flux (output). I've heard rumors of U.

A TWAK (look for WA on the picture above) is almost perfectly white with the baresst touch of pink. WO and X0 are almost pure white, with the X0 having a slightly higher color temperature.

The J bins will consume less power in a current controlled circuit than a K. Less heat too.

Daniel

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could be wrong but the chart seems to be wrong. Shouldn't the green and the yellow be interchanged?

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Billson,

Hotbeam was kind enough to overlay the new binning scheme with the CIE color chart. The text points out that Hotbeam chose random colors to help associate the X0 with X1, Y0 with YA, etc. Yes, the blocks marked in green represent the V tints, and V LEDs vary from very white to slight tinge of yellow.

Many people look only at the colored bloks and don't realize (although it's clear that you got it right) that the colors in the background are the important ones.

Another important thing to realize is that the old tints (1-5) extend much further out from the center, and can therefore have much stronger tints. A 5 tint could range from fairly violet to cool white to sea-green, but a Y0 tint is simply cool white.

Daniel

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Daniel,

Thanks for explaining but I tend to think that since the block colors are much more obvious than the background colors, one would always tend to notice this first. I actually never noticed the background until you mentioned it so it could actually mislead people who might want to use this as a reference for bin tints.

mapson

Enlightened
I also thought I read somewhere in the threads around here (where else) about the greens and yellows should be switched.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Ok, I posted a second version that I 'gimped' to swap the colors. To do it right, one should really depict YO, WO, X0 and VO as lighter than the outer blocks. I'm not going to go that far.

I will see if Wayne will swap in my version of the picture he has on his web site.

Daniel