Self contained recharging lights?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Does anyone know any information about lights that use kinetics (coils and magnets?) to create it's own contained power source. I think I read about one on the net a while back but I can't remember where I saw it. I think the idea was to shake it to produce power. It is an intriguing concept to be able to have a flashlight that would never need batteries and would be always dependable.

Brock

Flashaholic
The light you are probably thinking of is the Nightstar. You can find info on it at
<A HREF="http://www.glow-bug.com/products/fl_nstar.html
" TARGET=_blank>http://www.glow-bug.com/products/fl_nstar.html
</A>
It is very dim though, dimmer than even an Infinity. However it would last forever and never need batteries. For that task I would suggest a Alladin Power. It uses a hand pump to charge a capacitor and power a LED. It is a bit brighter then a Photon or Arc AAA when fully charged, then just a couple of pumps and you are set for a while.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by melmso:
Does anyone know any information about lights that use kinetics (coils and magnets?) to create it's own contained power source<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As Brock mentioned there are a few lights like that. Situation improved a little with LEDs.
The usual hand driven light has a small generator, some gearing and a 3.8V 0.07A bulb. And the whole gearing will not last 10 working hours (my guess). Even the smalles amount of sand or dirt will make it block.

But there were better quality ones, completely metal (aluminum), probably even waterproof. They are Russian made and I've seen and tried them in the seventies. Unfortunately I did not buy any at this time ($3-6).

And there is the shaking light. The manufacturer makes impossible claims about it. Just make your own calculations (only a little physics needed).

We tried this lights out some time ago. You are just not able to power it over a longer time and the changing brightness is annoying (better with the newer ones which contain capacitors).
Any medium to good quality flashlight with lithium cells will easily outlast this mechanical lights and will also work after 10 years (and more) of storage.