luxeonIII

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, yas and no. A lux III driven at spec (1A) and drawing ,lets say 3.7v, would be pulling 3.7 Watts, and you can overdrive, I push mine to about 1.2A. But yas A luxI is roughly 1Watt, LuxIII about 3 Watts, and LuxV about 5Watts. Hope this helps. If im am wrong, please chime in and correct me.

Jeff

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the sooner we get away from using the term "1-watt" or "3-watt", the less confusing
it will be.

LuxeonI when driven at spec (@ 350mA) uses roughly 1 watt of power, hence it is known commonly as the "1-watt" LED. LuxeonIII when driven at spec (between 700mA or 1000mA) uses roughly 3 watts of power, hence the "3-watt" LED name. There is apparently a *slight* improvement in the LuxeonIII package (probably better thermal path from die to slug) that allows the LED to be driven at 1A.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Let's make this simpler (or just add to the confusion).

Lumileds only makes one type of "high power" blue/green LED die right now. One is used in the Lux I & III, and four are used in the LuxV.

It's the packaging that differentiates between a I & a III. There are plenty of folks out there that have had good luck driving a Lux I (350mA spec) to 1000mA & beyond with conservative thermal design.