Servicing a Streamlight Jr xenon?

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
One of my partners asked me for my help with her Streamlight Jr Xenon - it was killing her batteries, she THINKS because the switch was being activated while in her jacket pocket. However, when she tried to open it to remove the batteries, she could not, and ended up tearing the rubber boot on the switch.

I have her light at home here - I have also tried twisting off the tail cap (I ASSUME it comes off?!?), but it won't come off. I have tried untwisting the bezel, but it only goes so far (I can SEE the O-ring!) but will not come off.

I THINK the answer will be to return it to Streamlight for repair/replacement, but would still like to know HOW you are supposed to get at the batteries.

Fortunately, this has gotten her thinking about a better back-up light, so I think I MAY have a convert! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

flashlightfreek

Newly Enlightened
Yes, the batteries come out of the back of the light. The tail cap should unscrew. Streamlight's lifetime warranty should cover it...I'm not sure about the tear though... only because their warranty excludes abuse. Which I think is stupid, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif, becuase I ran into the same problem with another light.

The bezel should also be able to come off. Send it in to streamlight. I wouldn't think they would have a problem with replacing it!

Hope this helps.

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
For sure the switch screws off the back end. It's plastic into metal threads, though, so it can be mighty tight.

I'd watch coming at it from the front end, I recall the bulb is a hassle to deal with on these guys. Best avoided if possible.

Doug Owen

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the body is waterproof it could be pressurized from the expended cells. Forcefully pushing the cap and body together may allow it to be unscrewed. This happens to Arc AAA's.

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
I am going to return it to my partner and suggest she send it to the closest authorized repair depot to get fixed.

She is on course for a week, and will have access to our Academy Canteen, so I will tell her to check out the Pelican M6 xenon and Streamlight Scorpion being sold there, or go to a local dealer to check out the Dorcy Spyder, to buy as her always-on-the-duty-belt back-up to her Mag Charger.

Thanks guys!