Some people are SO stupid!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
A Lady that lives behind my Dad, who is on his Rodeo commity, etc. has two lights I gave her for a 5D Early Streamlight she gave me.

A Dorcy 1AAA 1LED, and a Craftsman 4AA rubber tool light with battery condition LED.

I saw the Craftsman laying around when I repaired a pipe coupling on her water heater and switched it on. A feeble dim beam came out.

I opened it up and got THREE seperate brands of battery out of it. I KNOW it had either Energizer or Rayovac when she got it.

Thing is, she acted totally clueless and shocked at how that could have happened.

You freaking moron!

I told her about 36AA Energizers at Home Depot for 12 bucks, but that I preffered Rayovac. She goes in the house and brings back one Rayovac. DUH!

Then she got out the Dorcy and proceeded to almost unscrew the head completly teying to get it to light. I told her to twist the tail or push the button. She did get it to light, but before it was over, almost had the head off again.

How do people like that remember to breath?

DaGeek

Enlightened
HAHAHAHA!! Reminds me of my aunt.

ps. My favorite one is when people store there batteries in the refrigerator!!!

riscfaktor

Newly Enlightened
I've met other technicians in my line of work that not only did they not carry their own flashlight, but when they borrowed mine (that's back when I still used to use M@g), I had to demonstrate for them how to turn it on.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Some folks are just not familiar with mechanics, electronics, technology, carpentry, plumbing, etc. I'm not really into mechanics or the art of building things from wood, but am certainly smart enough to understand and figure it out - perhaps with a little help at times. I'm sure there is someone out there that would make fun of me when it came to some of those tasks. I have a friend that just couldn't believe that I didn't know the basics of framing when we put up a storage shed in the backyard.

Perhaps she's great at something else like knitting, cooking, painting, playing the piano...who knows? You should have seen my mother & grandmother when we gave them microwave ovens & VCRs years ago...they finally figured out the microwave oven with use. I really don't think they ever figured out how to program the VCR though.

Technology has really passed some folks up indeed (some folks will never understand the most simple things)...I've dabbled/worked on/built/programmed/used computers & associated electronics since 1975. I "like to think" that I have a pretty good understanding of these type items. I can't imagine what "Joe Average" does when he has a computer problem (if he even has a computer), software conflict, etc...Guess he calls that "Geek Squad" guy that comes to the house and fixes their problems.

However, expose me to rebuilding an engine, replacing a water heater, or something like that...I'm the one you would probably be laughing at then!

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with sigman, one of these days the females in our lives will wonder how we survived without knowing how to knit or make flower baskets, or our computer guru neighbor will laugh at our lack of comprehension of the latest software tricks. its's just a seperation of specialties...

Nick

junior

Enlightened
Next time, just give her the .99cent store flashlights and tell here you spent good money on it.

As a financial counselor i have pulled many homes out of foreclosure for them just not using common sense.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know a guy who sells small tools from a cart at a flea-market. Small pliers, hemostats, third hands; those kinds of things. A while back he told me that the question he hears the most is,

"What do people do with this stuff?"

GEEZE...

raggie33

*the raggedier*
yeah everyone thinks diferntly my dad for instance is very buiness minded. a amzeing buienss man but mechancaly very little skills.he still dont know how to use a computer and he had one of the first home pcs ever built.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Sigman said:
...Guess he calls that "Geek Squad" guy that comes to the house and fixes their problems.

[/ QUOTE ]
Funny you bring this up...my housemate noticed the telephone number "1-800-GEEK-SQUAD" on the TV commercial for them and remarked to me that he couldn't find the "Q" on the telphone dial. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

BF Hammer

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:
[ QUOTE ]
Sigman said:
...Guess he calls that "Geek Squad" guy that comes to the house and fixes their problems.

[/ QUOTE ]
Funny you bring this up...my housemate noticed the telephone number "1-800-GEEK-SQUAD" on the TV commercial for them and remarked to me that he couldn't find the "Q" on the telphone dial. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Craig, some phones do have a Q, most do not.

For the historicly challenged reading this, the letters on the keypad (or dials on old phones) were there because phone numbers used to start with the first letters of a street name, neighborhood, or city where the person being called was located at. "Q" was never used because in English a "U" always follows a "Q" when it's placed near the beginning of a word/name.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I don't expect her to be a plumber, electrician, car repairman or any such.

But when I was there to get the Streamlight the first time, It was to carry in and set up a TV for her. But even had she been able to carry it in, she'd never have been able to set it up!

In the Craftsman light, it was not just three brands, it was also one HD battery mixed in with the other two brands of Alkalines (one Energizer, 2 ? that I have NEVER seen even at dollar stores. And she claimed to know NOTHING of how it could have gotten those batteries. And if you looked her in the eyes, you'd have believed it!

And the Dorcy is a gold one with a PROMINENT black button on the tail.

And my question was, how do people like that remember to breath ya know... not are they rocket scientests or such.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Hey Joe
She acutually must be some kind of genius or super human mutant or something. She managed to unscrew the head on her Dorcy. I have NEVER been able to get mine unscrewed even with a pair of pliers and an pair of channeloks. All I managed to get was a chewed up Dorcy AAA.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I had had the several I own apart and mix and matched at some time or another.

Gold head and tail look bitchin' on a red body.

As to how I got 'em apart? Don't really remember.

But I learned something about it based on the red one here close to me. It bears pliers scars!

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
so it had several different brands of batterys in it.
it probably worked just fine when or if the batterys
were new.

I would not mix n match batteries unless I had to.

I gave my 87 year old grandpa a portable cd player.

It took 20 minutes over the phone to get him to plug headphones into it and put the cd label side up
and push the play button and adjust the volume.

he kept opening the top to see if the disk was spinning.
he said it keeps stoping and the needle was missing.

I should have told him to go to radio shack for a new needle.

he did not beleve me at first when I told him that the disk was read by laser light.
He had heard about lasers and did not beleve that there was a tiny one in it.

I was about to give up when he finaly got it to play.

AbnerCadaver

Banned
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif lol markdi.. Got a real hoot from that one. Reminds me of my grandpa when they first came out with battery operated TV's. He kept wondering how the tv could "pick up" the signal with no cord attached (read: AC power cord). Up until his dying day, he couldn't conceive that TV worked by picking up signals "through the air". He thought that the AC power cord provided the "picture".

Abbie

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i knew some people once they didnt bleive that ya dont need a tv to record with a vcr. sure ya need it to watch the show but ya can record all day with out tv they didnt get it

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
This really isn't stupid the way - for example - drinking 4 six packs and going through a stop sign at 90 mph is stupid. This is just ignorant, and as Will Rogers once said, "We're all ignorant, just about different things.."