Brinkmann Maxfire and Maxfire Rechargeable

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just in case someone feels that they HAVE to have the Surefire "perfect circle of light", the P60/61 combo fits into the light without any mods.

Its a much easier mod than the LX, as the lamp/reflector module fits easily into the spot vacated by the reflector/bulb module assembly of the Brinkmann.

However, I cannot see any REAL difference in the light output or significant difference in the pattern. It may be a little smoother, but it certainly isn't huge!

Bill

P.S. This makes for the perfect rechargeable P61! Interestingly, my P61 is actually whiter than my P60 run on the same pack.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Where is the recharge model. I got the 2 123 at the local Wallyworld but they had none of the recharge models.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine at an Outdoor Sportsman.

Someone has mentioned that WalMart has them at some locations but not others.

The only place I've found them online is:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0168177

In case you missed it, I'm using NiMh 1100 Mah packs, I had mine made for me a Batteries Plus, but cheapbatterypacks.com can probably build them also.

Bill

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Topper...Academy Sports also has the rechargable version for $24.99 plus tax...FYI.

PJD

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet... I followed your lead and ordered a a Gold Peak 1100 mAh pack as well. And picked up another G2 with P60 and P61 lamps to boot. Cant wait to try the P61 in there.

soloco

Enlightened
Wow! That sounds fantastic! First A sized rechargeable light I've ever heard of. Doesn't surprise me that the P61 looks whiter either. It's rated at a lower voltage which would match the 4.8V from the 4 2/3A cells better than the P60.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, I have the custom Gold Peak pack coming from CheapBatteryPacks.com and a P61 (and G2) from a forum member... The tension is killing me!

So, what kind of runtimes have you got out of the P61 on your 1100 pack?

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 sticks, and I have cycled both of them twice so far, but with the stock bulb, not the P61.

They have averaged 43 minutes, before dimming enough that I noticed.

NiMh continue to improve for something like 25-50 cycles, so I expect to end up with consistent 45 minute run times, perhaps a little longer with the stock bulb, and 20 minutes or so with the P61.

I don't expect longer run times than 123's from the NiMh packs, just cheaper runs!!

Bill

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah... I figured they wouldn't be as long. I was just hoping for more than 10 minutes.

Still, free P61 light is a good thing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Damelas

Newly Enlightened
does anyone know if the pila batteries work with the maxfire? also if the p60/61 fit, will the 3.7 volt lamp from pila fit?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Concerning the Pilas, what exactly would they offer that just buying the custom 1100 mAh pack from one of the vendors listed don't?

Aren't the Pilas considerably over the $12 that the custom packs cost?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oops... I thought you were talking about the Maxfire Rechargable. Please ignore my idiotic comments! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my second G2 that came with a P61 lamp and was playing with the different lamp/body combos and noticed the Maxfire lens is pretty nice. Is it pyrex or mineral glass or something? Definately seems 'glassier' than the stock G2 lens.

udaman

Banned
Why limit yourselves to just off the shelf Pila or SF LA's? There are other bulbs you could use (I might have a few that I will be testing from Carley over the next week for the update to the 8AA-2D WH/SL regulated adapter review thread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ). Other 3.5, 3.6, or 3.7v bulbs might be used in a hack. I was looking at the Brinkman Maxfire I bought (lousy eyesight, I can't see worth a darn in the weak lighting of retail stores) and I have to say the lamp module looks like it could be easily (well not too difficult for hackers) taken apart to install another bulb. Sheesh, you ought to see how badly centered the T1.5 bulbs are in the module in my Maxfire...leaning tower of Pisa!, same with the PR base mounted bulbs that come with the 8AA-2D adapter. Only difference is that with the standard M*g reflector, all the flaws of misalignment, filament uglies, and such; are painfully evident.

It would seem possible to use Pila??? if they can fit snugly (diameter maybe too large, even if you peel off the 2nd outer plastic layer), but if you went to rechargeable 123's you could potentially mount some seriously high lumen lamps in the lowly Maxfire. Only problem would be, for how many minutes would it take, for the plastic parts of the module to start to melt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ? BTW, I measure an inside diameter of approximately 18.5mm for the Maxfire body tube, so Pila's or most 18650 Li-Ion cells should fit!

Let's see, a bare/unprotected rechargeable LG Li-Ion 2400ma 18650 cell could easily drive the Carley 1122, T1.5 size, 3.5v/2.3a, 8w bulb for just under an hour at around 140+lumens. 8w is almost as much heat as generated by the stock bulb in the M*gChr, which has a large metal reflector to insulate the plastic parts from searing heat of the bulb. I'm afraid the lens and plastic parts of the Maxfire could not handle extended runtime for such a setup, but who wants to try and melt one for cheap thrills /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

Time to start a new thread, Maxfire $16 mod to $20 light ($10 Li-Ion cell and $6 Carley bulb); spanks SF E2e, in throw & output /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif? Yet another 'Mini-me' version of the M*gChr that fits into your pocket, cause it's so small, hehe?

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I appear to have bought the rechargeable version for $9 without packaging at a flea market today. The guy didn't remember what the model was. It looks like the picture of the Maxfire 2xCR123 that I saw on another link, but with 7 notches in the rubber grip instead of 5. I didn't get any instructions with this light, so any guidance you could give me regarding charging guidelines, run time, lamp replacement sources (I've never seen this type of lamp module and don't even know what to call it) bulb life ecpectancy etc. would be appreaciated. Thaks in advance for any hints, tips, cheers, jeer, do's, dont's etc. that you have to offer.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
The stock battery is a 650 MaH NiCad which has a VERY hard time maintaining a charge.

I have switched to sticks of 1100-1150 MaH NiMH cells available from cheapbatterypacks.com.

The stock recharger is a dumb charger and takes about 16-20 houts to fully recharge the NiMH pack and about half that to recharge the stock one. YOU MUST remove the pack yourself to avoid damage to it!

It's a good buy for a rechargeable light, the bulbs are interchangeable with the 123 version of the light. You can also slide in P60/61 Surefire lamp assemblies without any problems.

The stock bulb assembly is unique to the 2 lights and you can reorder bulbs direct from Brinkmann. I haven't burned a bulb out yet, so I have no idea what to expect there!

Bill