Ever seen these credit card sized LED's?

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

Ever seen these credit card sized LED\'s?

Eon Ice
ST00101.GIF

Everlasting Torch
1065.jpg

Anyone know if these have "Constant On" switches?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Ever seen these credit card sized LED\'s?

Those are British "Sinclair" products. Somebody here on CPF commented awhile back that they weren't great values -for the performance-Especially for their size.

-Here's an idea......Just tape 2 Photon-1s together and you'll have something a lot better..
tongue.gif
:^)

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

yeah, and look at the fake "IC chip" in that top one... what a load of BS. They also make a $1,500.00 version of the same disposable light. Would you pay $1,500.00 for a light that was no brighter than a couple of Photon 1's taped together?

Looks like they run 3 CR2032 cells in there. 9 volts, two white LEDs in series, probably no resistor. CR2032's can be found for about a buck apiece, white LEDs (assuming they use good ones) for less than $2 apiece. So what costs the other $1,493.00?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Are you sure that price was $1,500 and not $15.00? Because these two particular lights sell for under 20 English Pounds. I don't know the exact exchange rate, but I don't think that would add up to 1,500 US dollars.

I've included links to retail sites above the images.

I mean I agree that $1,500 is too much to pay for a disposible anything. Maybe that was a price for the US Military. They'd pay $1,500 for a disposible screwdriver.

Grummond

Newly Enlightened

After visiting their website, I would not buy one of these on principle!
As for the gold plated ones big deal.
If I want to spend a lot on money on a flashlight I'll buy an Arc LS and get what I pay for, to me that makes sense, what does not make sense is buying a piece of cr** for hundreds of dollars because it's covered in gold.
rolleyes.gif

I'd take my P3 over one of these any day, in fact I'd take a poke in the eye with a blunt stick (especially if it was gold plated
grin.gif
!) before I handed over my cash for one of these.
Grummond.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Ok. I've finally found their website after doing a search. And you're right. They do sell one that is $1500. However, they also sell models that go for less than 20 US dollars. The only difference I can see between the gold plated $1500 model and the ones that are less than 20 US dollars is the gold.

As for what Grummond said. I don't understand why you are so opposed to these lights. Is it just the price you don't like? Are they flimsy? Do they not put out enough light? Do their batteries run out too quickly? If you could explain your principle for not buying one then maybe I could understand.

All I'm trying to find out is if these LED flashlights (which sell for less than 20 English Pounds) have constant on switches. I'd also like an opinion or review.

I don't plan to spend 1500 US dollars on anything disposible either and I don't think anyone else here would either. So this we can agree on.

Size15's

Flashaholic

I had one for a while.
Blue LEDs - crap beam - even for an LED.
PII blue was better.
Made my Wallet fat (false sense of money
frown.gif
)
Coolest thing was folding open my wallet and squeezing it to produce bright blue light - shocks barstaff.
The Blue light was pretty bright, and it did maintain it for a while.

It got a bit wet, the sticky cover started peeling at the corners so I peeled it off, realised I couldn't stick it back on without making it look worse... So I snapped it in half for shits and giggles and threw it in my big.

The worrying thing is that my brother has it in his room. It still works - kinda.

I'd have to handle a metal one to see if it was cool enough.

There are many better LED lights, but for style, a metal one may be cool.

Al

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast

Perhaps part of the distaste also comes from the problem that LEDs are made to run thousands of hours before losing about half their intensity. I highly doubt that you could replace the batteries on these, so you'd be dumping them when the batteries die in 10-15 hours. The LEDs they use apparently put out a crappy beam so they aren't worth the effor to save and put in a project. For $20, you'd be better off with a Photon II.

The other point might be that they try to sell what is essentially a low-tech item as high-tech stuff, what with their fake IC chip. We here are all very unhappy when a person or company tries to pull a fast one either through implicit advertising (as seen above) or mis-information (typified by the "it's so bright. Runs so many hours" adverts, which don't tell you that it is only so bright for so few hours and the rest of the advertised time it slowly fades and isn't even enough to light a toilet cubicle), or even through out-right lies (don't have a ready example).

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Originally posted by Steelwolf:
...or even through out-right lies (don't have a ready example).
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The LED Club flashlight. "Each LED produces a phosphor light as bright as a full-sized flashlight". According to this, that would mean the 4-LED light is at least as bright as 4 2-D Mag Lites combined, when in reality it is dimmer than an Arc-AAA.
x.gif

Brock

Flashaholic

I have one and the beam quality isn't very good. It has 2 squared off blue beams. It is a momentary on only and you can't replace the batteries. It is about as thick as a Photon in the middle so I don't know why you would want he extra space of the card. As Al noted it doesn't seem to hold up really well. Mine is also starting to peal back on the edges.

Grummond

Newly Enlightened

Waynerd,

As I said I will not buy one of these on principle.
They are trying to sell this product as major breakthrough in flashlight technology simply because he worked out that if you over drive an LED it gets brighter.
Well of course it gets brighter, but we don't all go running of to the patenting office trying to jealously guard our new found discovery.

Quote:
"Iain Sinclair has been granted patents for the overrunning LED technology in UK, France, Germany, Japan and Spain.
Similar applications are progressing in Sweden, USA and Italy"

You asked if the battery can be changed.
Well no it can't, but as they say "This is because LEDs are virtually indestructible and take so little power that battery replacement is hardly necessary."

Could you not say that about any LED light?

Luckily other manufacturers produce their lights in such a way that despite it being "hardly necessary" we do have the option of changing batteries when the event does occur.
I think what they mean is battery change is hardly necessary because you can't turn it on and keep it turned on.
Actually it does not surprise me the battery can't be changed, after all do you think they want you spending your money on new batts, hell no, seeing as they're so good you might as well just buy another one.

As for the fake chip, I'm not going to say anything about that, but then what could I say about it!

I have not owned one of these lights but a friend of mine back in the UK got one for his birthday.
Even when new the beam was not very impressive it seemed to get significantly dim rather quickly and the plastic coating started peeling off.
The last time I saw him he was back to sporting his old Solitude, how many people do you know that have been introduced to a small pocket LED and actually gone back to a Solitude?

I will be honest my first post on the topic was rather abrupt, I apologize.
Maybe I should not have said it was cr**.
I can't remember where but I once heard someone say "the only difference between a flower and a weed is an opinion".
I am sure there will be many people who buy this light and be very pleased with it I just won't be one of them.

All the best,
Grummond.
smile.gif

DavidH

Newly Enlightened

I have one of the Stainless Steel ones. I got it on a lark assuming that it wasn't all it's cracked up to be. It looks really cool and can light up a room. The beam pattern is a bit funky. I don't use it a whole lot. The switch takes a firm press to activate it so you can't really keep it on for long. I have it on my headboard for use at night.

Eon-Classic-1a.gif

Eon-Classic-6a.gif