Im in Texas

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
Hi all,
I'm safe on the ground in El Paso Texas.
Had a huge travel day yesterday.
We left Kuwait at about 02:00.
Arrived before dawn in Frankfort.
Killed about 7 hours there.
Got on a very full 747 for the ride to Denver.
10 hours on that machine in coach. Max discomfort.
Three hours on the ground in Denver, then onto the third flight of my 'day' for the ride to El Paso.
I can't begin to tell you some of the mental disconnects that have happened.
Exactly the kinds of things you warned me about.
It's hard to believe how nice a breakfast at Denney's can be. A meal the Army or an air line didn't provide. The personal contrast from a war zone to here is stunning. What I had grown used to as normal is now catching me short.
An Example.
In a war zone, when buildings shake, it's usually a bad thing. Fortunately I didn't 'hit the floor'.
In Denver Int. I was able to hook up with a ham radio friend who had relocated from New York. Sam looked much happier and saner than the last time we had talked in Huntington NY. Then again after so much travel shock, I was not (and still not) operating on all thrusters.
We are sitting at a little food court having something to drink, when I start to feel the floor twitch. "Sam, what the heck is that?" I say in a voice that causes others to look at me.
He says "what's what?"
I say "that floor it's vibrating and thumping".
That's when I learned there is an underground tram system in operation at the airport. For lack of a better term, battle reflex is a dam difficult thing to quash. I just hope nothing goes bang next to me for a while.
Other little things I've noticed......
I went to Denney's here for breakfast.
There was a cop parked outside the Denney's. A normal Texas cop. Bright colors, light bar, uniform and a badge.
After a year of MP's this was a major change.
It wasn't an up armor Humvee with a 50 cal on it. Red white and blue bright colors. Not the greens or tans of the military.
That cop will never know it, but he did me a favor. A touch stone of what is real here. There are no unfriendly hajji's outside the wall trying to do a BDA on the last shelling.
The difference between civilized and barbarism. People respect the civilized cop. In Iraq, there are a lot of barbs.
After a year in the zone, you don't think the same way.
According to CNN a military convoy was hit with a car bomb. The sick part is it could have been the guys who I just spent a year with. I'm sick of hearing about trooper wounding and deaths.
The more bad guys we kill the better off the world is. No ninney soccer mom is ever going to change my mind about this.
The entire sense of normal is totally twisted.
It's going to be a while to adapt back to this world.
I nearly blew every stop sign at the air port. I got used to driving on the base and on my trip to Babylon. Stopping meant a chance of ambush. Here is civilized transportation.
Got some plans for the day. The company rep is going to hook up with my travel partner 'Crazy John' and I. (He was the one barking at the sun in Iraq)
Going to look up some ham radio repeaters here in El Paso and play radio for a while.
Do some web stuff, but the Subguns note came first.
Guys,
Thanks for keeping me sane, will plug back in soon.
Later

Greta

Flashaholic
Jack... what can I say? ... I'm glad you made it HOME! Take care, my friend... and don't forget that you still need to keep your head down... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

MikeF

Enlightened
Welcome Home!!!
I can't tell you what it means to me that you are home safe!
Enjoy your time in ElPaso, I've passed through El Paso six times on my way to Juarez to help build homes in the Colonias.
Stay safe!!!!!

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gifGlad your back.

mut

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Dang Jack, you ain't more than 800 miles from me in El Paso. Did anyone mention Texas is a BIG state?

Glad you are home safe. Acting a little crazy according to "normal" standards is ok. "F" 'em I say!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome back!!

The most important thing is that you made it and you're safe. In time, things will settle down. Have a few more drinks while you're at it in the meantime, perhaps some real American bourbon.... YOU'VE EARNED IT!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Jack_Crow said:

After a year in the zone, you don't think the same way.
According to CNN a military convoy was hit with a car bomb. The sick part is it could have been the guys who I just spent a year with. I’m sick of hearing about trooper wounding and deaths.

The more bad guys we kill the better off the world is. No ninney soccer mom is ever going to change my mind about this.

The entire sense of normal is totally twisted.
It's going to be a while to adapt back to this world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Jack, doesn't the news remind you of what they were trying to accomplish in Vietnam, and trying to turn the public opinion?

LOL, soccer moms... It is one thing to be there and quite another to be taking your kids to soccer and other egotistical pursuits. I have this gut feeling they'd turn fiercely upon the bad guys themselves if they were put into the situation...

Just wait until some jerk hollers grenade...

Take care and enjoy the R&R, you've earned it, and done our country proud.

Semper Fidelis,
Desert Storm/Sheild Vet

P.S. BTW, Costco has these low cost THORs you might enjoy for 24.99, and some decent Luxeon 9.99 ea flashlights (for the cost)...get 'em before they are gone.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a former colleage working Kuwait on the private side. That place is just to quite for me!

chiphead

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Man I've got to say I'm a "sensitive" kind of guy...I'm sitting here reading Jack's thread and others of folks either home for good or R&R and "I'll be home for Christmas" comes on the radio...got tears in my eyes!

I personally know guys from Nam & some other situations that didn't make it back at all or perhaps they did - but "not all of them" did...enough said.

Many of our troops today are in the same situation and I got to tell you <font color="blue">"Welcome Home!!"</font> and glad you're back!! I'm certainly respectful and thankful for your service!!

Thoughts & prayers going out constantly to the troops & their families, whether "here or there". Hat's off and salutes to you all!!

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Darn, we just missed each other then. I was in Texas (DFW) on Friday coming home for R&R. Good job making it back. I just found out that some of my comrades from the 81st were the ones providing force protection at Scania. The guys with the crow (ok raven) on their shoulders that looks a lot like a staple gun. Oh, well. Good luck in your new job, or with your travel plans anyway. Take some time off and enjoy not having any incoming mortor rounds every couple days. You've earned it.