Why I won't be buying a SureFire U2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why I won\'t be buying a SureFire U2

Feel free to post why you won't be buying a U2 here. This isn't a knock against the U2 or SF so please don't read it that way. Please don't post why you did buy or will be buying a U2. There are plenty of threads for that.

When the rumors started, I was as jazzed as anyone to eventually buy one. However, in the months and months between the initial pre-order threads and eventual release, my enthusiasm waned. Don't get me wrong, an efficient light with multiple levels and bulletproof construction is desirable by any account, however, here's why I won't be making a U2 part of my routine.

1. Too expensive
2. Too large
3. Too heavy
4. Adjustment ring on the wrong end of the light

It is especially important to note that items 2 and 3 above are in relation to my L4. I have carried my L4 every day* since I bought it last year and it has never let me down. It is small, light and outputs intensity and beam exactly as I need it. Also, 50-70% of my usage of the L4 consists of biting the tail between my teeth while working with both hands. This will likely be impossible to do or do comfortably with the U2.

Running on a rotating pair of Pila 168S from JS Burly's it is damned near the perfect light in execution and function for me.

Wilkey

Except for about a 2-week period when I sold it to finance the U2 then realized that the U2 was not imminent and that I couldn't live without my L4. My gratitude goes to the understanding CPF member who took pity and sold it back to me.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Why I won\'t be buying a SureFire U2

More Surefire bashing, when will it end? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

sithjedi333

Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dedhorse.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dedhorse.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dedhorse.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dedhorse.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad71.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick2.gif

Topper

Flashaholic*

I am getting a LionHeart instead I can't afford both.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

udaman

Banned

Because I'm really, really cheap. $19.99 SL 4AA LED is way to big for my big mouth, but I'll stuff it into my mouth when I need it. Most of the time the light that goes into the mouth is the 1AAA Dorcy (unmodified, did I mention I'm really cheap?). Can't wait until 60-70lm/w 1watt LED's hit mass production and end up in a 1AAA Dorcy. NiMH cells are much less expensive than protected Li-Ion batteries.

What I really want (maybe 5-10yrs down the road when knock of versions from China hit the market) is a Doug S style 10430 light (you did see his discharge testing of the 10430 at 600ma and 300ma, indicating a 2 level Luxeon in the planning stages /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ?). Keychain sized 60-70lm output LED, now that will be the light for me.

I would pay 300+ for the mythical "JA Special", just the right size, not heavy at all, sexy/thin...lotsa power/glaring brightness; when and if js ever produces it...because like JA herself, it would prove to be "simply irresistible, she's so fine" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif...sorry, temporary insanity put me into Robert Palmer song. Only other light I would ever pay more than $300+ for, would be for 60min runtime, and massive output like a X990 35w HID.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't think Ginseng is bashing at all. Thats why we have lots of lights. Different lights for different people, different jobs, different senarios.

I happen to love the L4, and thanks for the plug Ginseng.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Guys,

Did you even read the second sentence of my post? If what you have to say is not constructive, amusing or insightful, please feel free to man up and keep it to yourself.

Maybe there are some folks out there who would appreciate a counterpoint to the almost reflexive purchasing habits so common on CPF. And seriously, how could I be considered a SF basher if I hold the L4 in such high regard?

Topper and Uda,
I hear ya.

Wilkey

Who am I to be a wet blanket. Mods, if this thread ain't going nowhere, please lock and whisk it off to oblivion.

across the pond

Newly Enlightened

One sad and simple reason: I can't afford it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

(If I could, I probably would! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast

Eh' I already have several variable output Luxeon lights, nothing to gain by getting a U2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif and I don't much care for the dimmer ring not to bash the U2 it looks to be a nice light it's just not my cup of tea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was going to say what Sway said. I already have a couple variable level output lights that are both smaller and lighter than the U2. I am curious to see if the U2 is brighter/produces more light than say a X4T BB750 on 2x123 configuration. On top of all that it is pretty expensive light. Not expensive by Surefire standards, but expensive for me.

Thanks

Curtis

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast

1. I dont have the money
2. Even if I did have the money it would still be over priced.
3. To big, I'm used to the arc4
4. Not bright enough for the money. If I could justify that big and heavy it would have to be a spotlight.

tequilathursday

Newly Enlightened

1. price
2. regardless of what's being said. I'd like a smaller selector ring and some sort of detent.
3. luxeon lottery. (waited 3 months for my backordered L5 and the tint is so green it looks much dimmer than any other lux V that I have. At 100 dollars more I'd hate to take the chance.

p.s. anyone have a 'white' W bin for sale? I really like my L5 but hate the tint.

Mr_Dead

Newly Enlightened

Despite the way some remarks were taken in another thread, I have no interest in SureFire bashing- heck, I own 3 of them, all bought recently (or maybe 2.8- one was from parts).

On the other hand, I bought them all AFTER learning about the U2, and that's something I'll bet not many can say.

For me, the reasons are 2,3,1, in that order. I was excited the first time I read a description of it, but decided to go ahead with my L4 purchase after I saw a picture. It's too big to interest me personally. I can afford it, but I also think it's too expensive for what it is. If I used one all day every day, maybe it wouldn't be- but I don't.

If SF comes out with an LED light with 3-4 settings, close to the size of an L4, for under $200 street, I might well be interested.

But, to be honest, at this point they may as well wait for the Luxeon 7 series, or whatever finally prompts us all to want to upgrade anyway. I really can't imagine another Lux 5 that would make me consider my L2 and L4/McE2S obsolete. A big improvement in efficiency and brightness, combined with at least 3 levels in a pocketable package might do that.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast

The U2 definitely isn't an EDC for normal people (too big and irregular for pockets). Nor would it make a good around the house light. Too expensive for this purpose and can't tailstand. But, from what I've read, it would make a great light for people who would carry it in a belt holster (clip looks useless to me) for duty or work purposes. The only critique I have in that regards would be that the plastic selector ring might turn out to be one of the major weak parts. Who wants to drop their light on some irregular surface and see that ring crack right in half? Maybe it can handle that abuse, but its still worrisome. The rest of the attributes of the light, especially the ability to take lithium rechargeables seem very nice.

Do I have any intention of buying one? No. I have the liberty, since a light isn't crucial to my job or life, of having several lights to work with and a few cheaper lights can easily do much better than the U2. But, chances are, if you don't like this light, it probably wasn't intended for you.

Mark

Kiessling

Flashaholic

cue ... an X-bin at 750mA is brighter than the U2, at least mine are.

hey Wilkey ... big lights for the big boys ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

bernie

P.S.: there is one hell of a difference between mindless aggressive bashing of a product / brand and a satisfying discussion of its merits and flaws as well as personal gustos. The second style is valued and encouraged on this forum as it is one of the basics to gather information for future purchases and might change your insights once in a while.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good post Wilkey. I figured you'd get bashed right out the door with this post. Folks that shell out over $250.00 for the next "latest and greatest" sure don't want to see anything posted about their newest baby except praise and I can understand that.

I'm a bonifide SF lover having owned them since 1985. I think they're the best production lights there are bar none and unlike others, I've had nothing but great customer service from the company. When I started hearing about the U2, I couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about and was especially mystified seeing guys lining up months and months in advance to buy a $270.00 light!

Now that I've seen the light and all it's features, I'm not enthused. I do like it somewhat and think it's technologically advanced but IMHO, it really is too large for an EDC and that's important to me. I also don't need 6 levels of light or even want them. I think if it's features appeal to folks, then go for it! I'm just not going to. Well, on second thought, I MIGHT because I predict you're going to see a whole lot of these for sale in the next few months at really tempting prices!

P.S. Bernie, you chimed in while I was typing and you are right on!

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

I won't be buying one because for the money there are a lot of other lights I'd rather have. It's not a priority buy for me.

nonbox

Banned

You should buy a compact, light weight headlamp if 50-70% of your usage consists of biting the tail between my teeth while working with both hands.

The PT EOS might be the headlamp for you.

I too think the U2 is too expensive but many will disagree.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Personally, im waiting for PK to graft the adjusting ring and associated internal gubbins to the L4...

Status
Not open for further replies.