M@g Replacement Luxeon Bulbs

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
Instead of getting a new flashlight I was thinking of changing the stock bulb in my Mag and buying a Luxeon LED. What would you guys reccomend? I was planning on the Diamond 1 Watt Luxeon Bulb. It retains the Mag's focusability and according to the site it is regulated.

Luxeon Bulb

led-bulb.jpg

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say give it a whirl and tell us how it goes.
The 1 watt ought to do ok.
Anything over, and it may overheat since there is no real thermal path from the bulb socket.
Anything bigger will need to be a mod.
Like this one for instance.
DSC00112.jpg

DSC00117.jpg

L

led_replacement

Why not try a Tektite Luxeon Star side-emitter LED-Replacement bulb made to be drop in replacements for focusable Maglite flashlights. The LPR-2 is for 2 cell Maglights, LPR-3 is for 3 cell Maglights and the LPR-113 is for 4 cell Maglights. They are in stock and on sale for $24.95 each ($29.95 Regular Price)Including free ground shipping in the USA. Check them out at http://www.led-replacement.com or http://store.led-replacement.com
led_replacement

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Side emitters can't even come close to making a beam like this though.
Only the lambertian high domed luxeons can.
DSC00061.jpg

If a wider beam is what you want for closup and medium distance, then go for a side emitter.

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
Acutally I did realize that. The Lambertians can focus into a tighter spot. I'm going for the Lambertian. Maybe I'll put it on my x-mas wishlist /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lightbringer

Newly Enlightened
which drop in is better, the one pictured above from qualityitems or the one from led-replacement? both are the same price, but led-replacement has free shipping. but the one from quality items seems to have a heat sink built in, making it better for long runs? also, is the led-replacement one lambertian or side emitting (i thought it was labertian based on its look). thanks

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Lightbringer said:
which drop in is better, the one pictured above from qualityitems or the one from led-replacement? both are the same price, but led-replacement has free shipping. but the one from quality items seems to have a heat sink built in, making it better for long runs? also, is the led-replacement one lambertian or side emitting (i thought it was labertian based on its look). thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

The led-replacement one is the classic side emitter with the goofy beam.

The heatsink on that diamond one can absorb some heat, but can't get rid of it.
The bulb tower on the magg is plastic.
At 1 watt, it should still do ok.

Soundchaser

Newly Enlightened
Quality items has a 3 watt lambertian for the 4D mag. Do you think heat might be a problem with that one?

Will it be significantly less bright/less throw than the original equip krypton bulb?

Thanks.

dim

Enlightened
The 1 watt regulated side emitting Diamond as also caught my attention. I'm curious as to the difference in its performance between a 2D and 3D - Output, battery life, etc.....

dim

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
There have been some jeers about that the 3 watt version overheating here on cpf.
Heat is the enemy for leds.
There has to be a thermal path for the heat to leave the led instead of kill it.

shifty646

Newly Enlightened
I have the 3W Lambartian from Diamond on my 3D M@g, seems to work great so far, and is brighter than the krypton bulb it had before. Since I only used it for 1-2min at a time for about a week, I can't comment on the heat problem.
I liked it so much that I ordered a 1W regulated lambartian for my 2C M@g in the car.

L

led_replacement

The LED-Replacement LPR bulbs are 1 watt Luxeon Star Side emitter (hour glass) to take advantage of the reflector focusing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Also the the LPR bulbs are not over driven so they don't generate as much heat and the batteries last longer because of the lower current drain
led_replacement /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't bought one yet, but I'd be inclined to lean towards the Diamond 1W high dome. Or if it was for more of a dedicated car light and would most likely used to illuminate the changing of a tire or somesuch, then I'd look more at the LPR.

And the EverLEDs are still in the game too.

xenopus

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
3rd_shift said:
Side emitters can't even come close to making a beam like this though.
Only the lambertian high domed luxeons can.
DSC00061.jpg

If a wider beam is what you want for closup and medium distance, then go for a side emitter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow -- that's an amazingly tight beam! I wonder how far it goes -- do you know what the divergence is?

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I had a thread about this very thing on the everled. baically i want to make a 2D mag mod wih a FM reflector, luxeon, and maybe rechargeable's for my mom's dog walking light. If i like it, I would even make one for my self.
so now I am confused should I:
go with the diamond? and SE or lam? what would be brighter?
techtite? I know the least about this option
or the everled which is side emitting only correct?

Would the diamond lam be as bright as the side emitter in say a medium flood setting of the mag bezel?
i love throw but don't just want great spot (as shown in pic) if the flood suffer's badly.

I also wonder about the techtite, in quickbeam's review he say's it's not as bright as the incan bulb it replaces. I see that he does not make that point on the everled and diamond VDG

EDIT:

After researching these it really look's like the everled is
gonna be the brighter module, I wish they made a lambertian, just to get a pin spot, but ths seem's to be the one for overall best to me. follwed by the regulated diamond.(of course in my noobish IMHO) VDG

L

LED Supply

[ QUOTE ]
voodoogreg said:
EDIT:

After researching these it really look's like the everled is
gonna be the brighter module, I wish they made a lambertian, just to get a pin spot, but ths seem's to be the one for overall best to me. follwed by the regulated diamond.(of course in my noobish IMHO) VDG

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the LEDdynamics recently released the EverLED Lambertian. It uses a Lambertian Lux I instead of a Side Emitting Lux I. You can get the EverLED Lambertian along with the complete line of EverLEDs at LED Supply.