Flashlights in the Sandbox!

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Brother-In-Law just returned to the Sandbox after a 2 week break over the Thanksgiving Holiday. His lottery number was so high that he really didn't expect to get to come home during his tour of duty, but his unit has been able to turn leaves over faster than expected. Needless to say, his wife and 4 children have been ecstatic, but are now saddened by his leaving.

However, I was able to get an update on the lights that I sent with him and their performance under pressure.

First Inova X5T Red. Used a lot at night for maps, vehicle repairs, and night reading. (He is a mechanic attached to a transportation division.) Has performed flawlessly. He has used about a dozen batteries in it so far.

Second, Surefire A2 White. This is his everyday carry light. Took a little getting used to the fact that the LEDs still worked well when the incandescent fell out of regulation, but once he figured out that he could pull the cells and run them flat in the X5T all has been well. He is still on his first lamp, and has gone thru about 3-4 dozen cells he thinks.

Last, Pelican PM6. This light is mounted on his weapon and uses a pressure switch. The part of his unit that goes on night patrol was issued Surefires, but since he had the PM6, mount, and pressure switch, he was given permission to use it. He does not have to routinely go on patrol, and when he has had to it is running a vehicle mounted heavy gun, so this light gets used infrequently. He has run quite a few cells thru it though, has had no failures of any kind, and continues to use the original lamp. This was initially planned as a backup carry light for his A2, since he knew his unit would issue Surefires, but with the somewhat limited availability of the Surefires, he decided to give it a try. Knowing that the Pelican was pretty tough, but not a true weaponlight, I had my concerns, but it has been a very pleasant revelation. Some of his group actually light the throw and spill from it better than their Surefires, though he is not sure that there is much difference besides price.

Since he was the reason I originally found this site and started modding lights, his experience was interesting.

In addition, I outfitted a customer who has also just returned. Our goal with him was maximum lightness and battery consistency. We decided on rechargeable NiMh AAA's for a head lamp, and 123's due to boths size and lightness.

He went with an X5T, PM6's in both Xenon and LED versions, and a Black Ice Xenon/LED headlamp. He had no lamp failures, no light failures, and no problems with any of them.

Bill

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
B,
My every day lights there were a CMG Ultra around my neck 24x7 and an X5 in white for most every thing else.

I took my UV X5 out to the "hajji' mart to check on some Saddam Dinars I was buying. The locals were stunned that the light picked out the good bills and the bogus ones.

At that point, all the 'wads' from the locals came out and I was checking their money for bad bills.

So I suggest a small UV light to spot bad bills.

Also it's not always possible to get 123's from the PX. The military GPS aka Plugger uses them. Send your friend a box of 12.

Later dude

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe because he is a mechanic, he has easy access, I sent him with 3 dozen, but he has been using those he has been able to access elsewhere.

Bill

redcar

Enlightened
Jack_Crow,

What is the difference in the real and fake Dinar's? I've got one here, and I'll take a look with my UV photon now.

Glad you're back. Thanks for what you do. I appreciate it.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PLGR (or pluger) uses 8 AA's, not 123's. It can also use the older big batter with some goofy nomenclature. Everything we have seems to be going to double A's, which is a very good thing. It makes it easier to get replacements since the supply system doesn't have to carry around diferrent battery types, and if it comes to it, the soldier can use the ones for his CD player. The only noteable exception is the small battery for the M68 Close Combat Optic, the red dot sight. And the 123 sized lithium hub (data backup) battery for the older SINCGARS (long acronym) radios, and maybe the newer ASIPS (even longer name). They are identical in size to a normal 123, but are actually 6 or 9 volts. Oh, and of course, units that issue the SureFire weapons lights have to get 123's for them, but those aren't too common I don't think. Supposedly my company has a lot of them, but they are locked up somewhere in a conex in Kuwait, along with a lot of our stuff.

What is the difference between the wo types of money? I assume that the real ones have some sort of UV reactive ink or logo?

redcar

Enlightened
Just got through checking...

My 250 Dinar Sadaam Hussein note has little white curved lines of about 5mm in length in an apparent random pattern on both sides of the note under UV light.

Didn't notice them under my somewhat dim house lighting.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
So he's used up about 50-60 123As? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Imagine if he had to buy them at regular retail price...

Mark

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sent a bunch of McLux PR lights and Britt sent a buch of Pelican Pm6 to some Marines who are in Fallujah right now.
I haven't any contact with them for about three weeks. I keep having Kevin at BatteryStation.com send over cr123a batteries. Kevin is the best. He always throws in something extra for our guys.

DaveT:
The Pelican PM6 fits in most generic flashlight mounts. Do a search. Here is a relatively cheap mount for the Ar-15 / M-16 family of rifles. Down and Dirty light mount.