Vortex KC-1 worth the $? other great keychain edc?

Leeoniya

Enlightened
I have a T1, but i'm looking for a small keychain light i can carry around. the only thing that i dont like as far as specs go is the Type-2 gloss anodize. i'm more for the Type-3 Natural that my T1 has, looks less like a toy and more like it's worth the money you pay for it. and it's virtually scratchproof. Other than that the marketing hype has me thinking about the KC-1 for my keychain light. i'd mostly use it for close-up work, but i'm not completely set on a flood light. My choice-2 would be the inova microlight. considerably cheaper. plus inova hasn't let me down yet. unless any of you have a better suggestions. i have a photon II, but when i took it apart to replace the batteries i was taken aback at it's simple "lets bend the leads of the LED till they make contact with the cells" design. I would have prefered an LED that was solid mounted in place with shortened or trimmed leads and a dedicated contact/cradle for the batteries running to the LED like a $2 watch, and a better, more thougtful switch design. other than forcing a bent lead to connect to the batteries. that quality is probably well worth $5 nowadays, but i paid $25 when i got it and expected a somewhat more engineered approach to the design. considering thats what my T1 cost me.

and for those who do have a KC-1, is it really all it's cracked up to be. Seems like it would get really hot. and the runtime they claim seems a bit long to be bright for 80% of it on 1 CR2. and the tint? is it the purest white ever? so many real-world questions...

Thanks,
Leon

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Vortex KC-1 worth the $? other great keychain

The Photon lights are quality if you ask me. I have seen several off brands that look like the Photon. The Led in those might not be as bright. As far as the switch, yes it looks cheap and simple. But it works and works for years. With the lead laying accross the battery it gives it a lot of contact area. Remember the enginering rule for quality, KISS. Which is keep it simple.

But if you like more complex, look at the Photon III or Photon Freedom. They use microchip controllers and switches.

But, any way to answer your question, I used to carry the Photons. Now I carry a Arc AAA modded by LED_ASAP with a Luxeon to be as bright as possiple. This thing is super bright for its size. Brighter then a 2 AA Mag I have. Cost was less then $100.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

Quickbeam I think does the best review's on light's, but on this one he didn't talk about beam quality, throw, and comparision's. I hope he goes back to edit that because he is in depth on finish, size, coating and whatnot, everything but the reason to buy or not buy a light in the first place. not a thing on if this light's a good find or not. last i heard was it had great throw and seemed brighter then a LSH-P, and better throw then a Q-III. but since I have been thinking on getting one, i would like to hear QB say that, not just one post on the board. VDG

bobomaticx

Newly Enlightened

i have one! it is pretty white, makes my longbow look green, mabye it has little blue tint, but i am really impressed by this light. in short, its pretty great!

greenLED

Flashaholic

Wish they had a 123 body option. It's already the size of a 123 light and I don't want to get yet another battery type.

Edit: I just checked Quickbeams review for the KC-1, and the pic show the KC-1 as being 2.25 inches. For reference, the total length of the Arc-LS (with clicky) is 3.25 inches. I understand the LS with twisty is shorter, but don't know how much.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you compare Quickbeam's throw and total output numbers with other lights he's done, you can draw your own objective comparisons... more total output and nearly as much throw as the Inova T1. Beam looks very decent for a keychain light.

For the KC1... I am interested... I'd be more interestd if it used 123s in the same sized body. I have an LED_ASAP modded ARC as well though mine only has a 400 mA draw but excellent runtime. For equal prices, I'd rather have an ARC AAA-sized light but then, they aren't equal prices. policegearusa has the KC1 listed at $33.24 though they aren't in stock yet.

For those that aren't eager to buy five lights to try out and then use the best one, it would be nice if we had some estimation of price for the Zorch and the Peak Lux lights.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
cratz2 said:
If you compare Quickbeam's throw and total output numbers with other lights he's done, you can draw your own objective comparisons... more total output and nearly as much throw as the Inova T1. Beam looks very decent for a keychain light.

For the KC1... I am interested... I'd be more interestd if it used 123s in the same sized body. I have an LED_ASAP modded ARC as well though mine only has a 400 mA draw but excellent runtime. For equal prices, I'd rather have an ARC AAA-sized light but then, they aren't equal prices. policegearusa has the KC1 listed at $33.24 though they aren't in stock yet.

For those that aren't eager to buy five lights to try out and then use the best one, it would be nice if we had some estimation of price for the Zorch and the Peak Lux lights.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, i will do that. still I would expect text in the review then having to page through other light's. Like i said, it's rare these point's are missed at FL review.com,
usually he has great detail in the review.VDG