CMG Bonfire Blaze

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds interesting. I like the dual white/single red option that's now being incorporated in so many headlamps. One thing is I hope they improve the housing. The current one is a pos, and unnecessarily big.

Originally posted by The LED Museum:
...More later. I've got a building inspection to prepare for, so I won't be getting very much work done regarding my website between now and Sunday...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I hope they're not searching for LEDs!
shocked.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif
shocked.gif

camisdad

Newly Enlightened
The housing and switch mechanism of the classical Bonfire are truly substandard though - bulky, looks and feels cheap, assembly has to be kept in by hand when you chnage the batteries... I still use it camping because I don't have anything else right now but I am seriously considering a Krill as a replacement.

I would go for a Glo-Toob but I would like to restrict my inventory of spare batteries to AAs and AAAs when going backpacking. Also, our unnamed Glo-Toob friend has successfully convinced the only other distributor of Glo-Toobs to double (!!!) their price so as to have all distributors price-aligned. Would that be an illegal entente btw?

The Bonfire is one of the few cheap (sub $25) purchases where I actually regret having spent the money...

Michel

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The prelim page is up.
www.ledmuseum.org/bonfire2.htm

The white LEDs are driven by a DC-DC inverter; I can see an SMD IC, a tiny coil, and a few other SMDs in there. The lanyard attachment method provides for a more secure fit and the lanyard itself is much longer; but the physical body of the light appears to be the same except for the case color.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Hot off the presses... CMG is making a new version of the Bonfire Tent Light called the Blaze. It has three LEDs like its predecessor, but there's a difference: two of the LEDs are white Nichias, and one is a screaming bright red (probably an Agilent Sunpower part). It uses 2 AA cells, and has a step-up inverter to deal with the white LEDs.

The white is reasonably bright while still retaining a published runtime of 20 peak hours; the red has a published 72 peak hours; they'll probably run longer but at diminishing intensity past that point. This one will have to be put through the logging meter when that instrument is freed up again.

The lanyard attachment seems to have been modified somehow, and done so in such a way that the harder you tug on it, the stronger it holds. So it shouldn't fall off nearly as easily as the previous Bonfires have been known to do if you tug on them. The battery springs should by now also be improved so the unit shouldn't die if it falls face-first off the tent ceiling. But i want to run all the other tests first before throwing the Bonfire around my ersatz campground.

Both the white and the red are bright enough to easily read by; but the red is less destructive to night vision. Photographers could probably hang one of these in their darkroom to use as a safelight; so long as they don't activate the white by mistake.
smile.gif

More later. I've got a building inspection to prepare for, so I won't be getting very much work done regarding my website between now and Sunday.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by camisdad:
...I still use it camping because I don't have anything else right now but I am seriously considering a Krill as a replacement...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You should be aware that the Krill is MUCH dimmer than the bonfire, and not cheap either. You might consider an Energizer folding lantern or a PT Aurora headlamp, among others.