Tool to use for trimming Mag tailcap spring?

skr

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to do a 2D->3C conversion to a body which will eventually host an O-Sink and 3W Luxeon emitter. I need to cut the tailcap spring so that it will slide all the way into the tailcap, but my 6-inch diagonal cutting pliers and large cable cutter both seem to be incapable of cutting the heavy spring that Mag uses.

What tool is recommended for trimming down a Mag tailcap spring?

screwman

Newly Enlightened
I'd hit it on the bench grinder or a dremel with a cut off wheel. Hope you didn't ruin your diagonals.

Mike

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
screwman said:
I'd hit it on the bench grinder or a dremel with a cut off wheel. Hope you didn't ruin your diagonals.

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, a dremel will take care of that bad boy rather quickly...just watch the coil next to the one you are cutting, so you dont cut into it.

Aloha

skr

Newly Enlightened
No -- didn't ruin the diagonal or the cable cutter.

Perhaps this will finally push me to buy a dremel...

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have an air compressor, you could use a high speed cutter. They're cheap. Of course, a dremel is a must have for any modder.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I use small bolt cutters for that type of thing. I still have a pair of diagonal cutters (dikes) that make good wire strippers due to the 12 guage chip in the jaws. Come to think of it, I have a pair of cable cutters that have a similar sized chip.

A cut-off disk in a dremel works well too. Wear eye protection!

Daniel

jashhash

Enlightened
I know it may take a little longer but cant you also just put a dremmel bit into your drill. Thats what I'm doing right now.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
For some reason I've always had good success with a simple pair of cutters (dykes) totaling about 7-8 inches long w/black vinyl-covered handles. This is cutting sometimes up to 50 springs a night. Does take both hands towards the end though - whew!

skr

Newly Enlightened
I was able to successfully trim the spring using a bolt cutter -- thanks gadget_lover. Now I need to wait for the arrival of my Arctic Alumina adhesive before I can complete the DD LuxIII mod...

Latest posts