• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WTB: HID-tinted 3W LS LED

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK...so, I got my first taste of modding one of my Maglites with a TXOK 3W LED. I love it!! But, I'm a little concerned that even though the yellow tint of this bin isn't obvious right now, I'm worried it will manifest itself as the batteries die and the voltage drops.

Now, I'm interested in doing it again. But, I want to put in a HID-tinted LED. So, I'm thinking that would be something toward the blue end of the spectrum.
LuxeonBinningColourChart.gif

Something like a YO tint. Anyone use any LED's with this bin? Is that the tint I want to make it look most like HID colored light?

Has anyone got a nice bright S or T binned YO or YA LED?

I'm planning on using either 3 C or 3 D cells so I would just direct drive it so I won't need any resistance. Which bin would be the best with either 3 C or 3 D cells? J? K?

Now, IF I were to want something regulated for constant brightness, how much resistance would I need? Would I need any other parts for the mod itself?

So, provided I have all my information correct:

WTB: - Edited since I understand the YA can look more purple /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
SYOJ or SYOK -or-
TYOJ or TYOK

Flatscan

Enlightened
I have some used SY0K stars. PM sent with details.

You should be able to score at least 1 TxxK in your desired bins.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it does look a bit yellow compared with my LH and my FT-3C (I got a great one, BTW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

So, I want something that will most resemble a HID color...

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
BLG,

The TXO bins have leaned toward the cooler side from what I've seen. You shouldn't have to worry about it turning yellow. As far as comparing the light to the LH and seeing yellow, that's normal. You should NEVER compare to different bin luxeons to get an idea of tint.

I believe that the LH has a YO or YA bin luxeon in it. These will make just about anything look a bit yellow in comparison. Just look at the beam of the TXO by itself. If it looks white, it's white.

Of course, if you just like the YO and YA bins, more power to ya. Many do prefer them, but don't think that a TXO puts out yellow light just because you could see yellow when compared to what is essentially a blue tinted light. Odds are that if you compared the TXO to an incand or other yellow light source, it will look blue.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand the YA binned colors can look quite purple so, I've edited my original request and am now just looking for:

SYOJ or SYOK -or-
TYOJ or TYOK

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I have a TYOL on the way! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Really looking forward to seeing the tint/color on this one!!

Thanks to all for their suggestions and helpfulness!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif