5mm 100mA THC3 LED wanted for X1 mod any color

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is going to be my first mod. Thanks to idleprocess for the idea. Should be easy enough to remove the stock led and replace it with a higher power one. Any color led would be nice- I would like to make different color X1s if successful.

Can anyone help me out on this? Advice or leds appreciated. Paypal or trade ok.

Trade for:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha! 'Leds' or 'leads' are appreciated... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Be sure to let us know how it goes. I love the form factor but would gladly trade a lot of runtime to get more output... Like many candlepowerforum members, I would assume.

Good luck.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
depends on the input voltage and what drive current you desire to run it at. I find the quick and dirty way of figuring out resistors for LEDs is to get a 1kohm variable set to 1kohm attached between battery and led(s) with an ammeter inline and slowly crank it till you get the current you want then take the leads off the variable resistor and measure it.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
may or may not require some reverse engineering of the circuitry in the boost circuit to get the output to near 100ma levels that is if the circuit will do that high of current.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
greenlight said:
Thanks to idleprocess for the idea.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not taking responsibility for this... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
some one modded a x1 with a luxeon
a couple of caps and a resistor change
I bet he was getting more than 100 ma to the led.

It drew 500 ma from the battery.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenlight: I see the 24k mcd 100ma have a 30degree viewing angle. Not sure what the stock led in the X1 uses, but it has focusing optics anyways. There's 26k mcd 20degree 20ma LEDs on ebay, which allthough have a tighter viewing angle, are probably more efficient and just as bright.

I'd say go for the 26k mcd one, you don't have to mod the circiutry that way, and the stock board probably puts out greater than 20ma to the led anyways, so you'll probably end up brighter anyways.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right, I don't want to have to mod the circuitry if I don't have to. If I did this I'd want brighter colors too. The stock green led is pretty bright already, so maybe I'd start with something else, like red or cyan. The led with the narrowest beam angle would be ideal, since you don't want to waste any light on the bezel.