Please recommend EDC to replace Surefire L4

hebertjb

Newly Enlightened
My Dad's E2E I gave him last year was stolen so I gave him my L4. It was my only flashlight besides my ARC AAA. Now I need to replace the L4. What's new out there that I should look at?
I loved everything about the L4 but I'm not willing to spend $160.00 for a replacement.

Thanks

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe check out B/S/T and get a used one for less than retail. You could look into the L2 as well. Or, get a used E2E and order the new KL1 head, or get McGizmo's 123 body with two stage resistor here plus the KL1 head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

stockae92

Enlightened
a L2 is good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

i hear people getting a lot better use of the battery life out of a L2 since the low is plenty good for getting around already. and both low and high are regulated with 18hr (advertised) run time on low.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Save yourself $150 and get yourself the SL JR Luxeon. It is a 1watt has good useable flood out to 40' or more. Is regulated and will run on "AA" NiMH's... Will easily fit in your shirt pocket.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Prowling the B/S/T forum regularly can find some outstanding values.

A real nice L4 just sold there for $125.00!

I've found that if I'm hankerin' for sumpin', I've got to get up early and check the sale forums frequently because the goodies do seem to go quickly.

MJWood

Newly Enlightened
If you want to stick to SF, it looks like either an L2 (heard great things -- looking into one myself maybe) or an E2e with a KL1 or other after-market LED head.

For a little more $$$, there is always the SF A2. Good burn time with the LEDs, smaller than the L2 and looks like a great EDC.

Just my $0.02

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try the Nuwai Q-III and if you don't like I'm sure you will be able to sell it. Buy a new KL1 and trade with your dad to get you L4 back. I'm sure you could find a body and a tailcap at a reasonable price. I prefer using the 2 cell body with the KL1.

I don't know how you feel about cr123a but you could get a three cell Aleph body and run 2-AA batteries either alkaline, lithium or rechargable .

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stick to the L4 and get a McE2s for it, I'd say! I love my E2e/KL1 combo, just wish I had the $$ for a KL4 and McE2s though...

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
Please recommend an EDC to replace Surefire L4.....

A SF L4 with the McES2 in the stock Z52 tail cap. I really like that set up and it would still be my EDC if I didn't have my Lionheart.

Life is short.....if you really liked the L4 and miss it, then save a little money, and _shop around_. If you take the time to look there are places you can get a deal on a new L4...I got mine for $135.00 new in the box and this was from a store (not on-line).

The worse thing you can do is get something else....not be happy with it and wished you picked out what you really wanted.......trust me I know the feeling. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Besides don't ya think your worth it.

Aloha

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got an L4 from the infamous Botach for $130 shipped. They now have them for $130 plus shipping, but that still beats the $160 plus shipping that most vendors are selling them for. Then add the McE2s, and a Pila 168S and charger. You'll be broke, but you'll have a great light.

Alternatively, get a Nuwai Q-III from countycomm for $38.50 plus $6 s/h. Very small with a very bright flood. Great light and one of my favorites.

Wait a minute. What am I thinking? Get both.

best regards

socals2k

Newly Enlightened
if you don't mind the size, i think L2 is a step up from L4 since you have 2 level switch and cost pretty much the same as L4. and have a more light on high level.

if you want to go small, then Q3 is nice to have. i am not too crazy about the idea of a reverse clickie, but i can live with it so far ...

brightnorm

Flashaholic
The only real equivalent to the L4 in terms of size, weight, power and beam is the Aleph II 5W700ma mounted on either an Aleph or E2E body. Unfortunately it's not cheap but if you want a true L4 replacement check out BST as has been suggested here.

Another possibility that I just thought of is to get an inexpensive Vital Gear body and buy a separate KL4. My only caveat would be that the thinner VG body will heat up faster than either the Apleph or SF.

Brightnorm

Latest posts