Why are the ORB torches being sold off so quickly?

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought #008 because the ORB light is such a unique light to add to my meager and growing collection. But I'm noticing more and more Orbs going on the choping block. Why?

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure, but possibly because the owners dont want such a unique light that they would feel bad about really using.

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well since you asked & since you bought it from me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, I found it a very nice-looking light, bright enough, fits the hand well but with a switch that you can't turn on with one hand easily & too nice to be an EDC (EveryDayCarry) light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Hope you're not put off too much now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point, Luckily I didn't buy it for my EDC (gotta HD III for that)I just plan on putting it on my small talk shelf so I can see if anyone can figure out how to use it..lol

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
diggdug13 said:
Good point, Luckily I didn't buy it for my EDC (gotta HD III for that)I just plan on putting it on my small talk shelf so I can see if anyone can figure out how to use it..lol

[/ QUOTE ]

OK it definitely will be great for that then & as a conversation piece. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

evanlocc

Enlightened
Definately not an EDC choice! Its kind of ART for you to display on shelf, as an when show it off to your visitor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
....if you would like.

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my orb for EDC. It is a bright, small, Stylish, Robust Practical Tool. & if you like /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif torch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
I EDC'd mine for about a week, it's a great EDC since it is rounded and won't wear a hole in your pocket. It was eventually expropriated by my wife. It's now her EDC. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

I'll have to get another one as soon as I can afford it.

Catman10

Enlightened
Wife or flashlight? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif Both can be very expensive!
I like my orb, but it can be a little awkward to switch on, and I think the finish could be easily damaged. I definately think it's worth having in your collection, though.

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Another flashlight of course! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

An extra wife would mean double the grief about my spending habits. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

oldtimer

Enlightened
Re: Why are the ORB torches being sold off so quic

LOL.

It looks too nice to be used. Mine is still in its case cause I don't want to damage it.

OK, I jumped in and invested (twice) in an Orb (#s 11 & 12). Had to see what all the hubbub was about, good, bad and indifferent. Here's my two cents:

EXCELLENT form factor (weight/feel/size)
EXCELLENT craftsmanship (wall thickness/quality of material and construction, uniqueness of design)
VERY GOOD output (throw/spill both very good, centered hotspot, brightness very white and surprisingly bright beam)
EXCELLENT external packaging (unique tube case and mailer, hard-to-lose instructions printed on tube - I actually laughed out loud when I read "Normal for Your Orb to Become Warm During Use. Doubles as Hand Warmer")
FAIR switch design. Not user friendly to insert magnetized lanyard loop into body to activate light, but it is quite unique.

On a scale of 1 - 10, 10 being the best, I would give the Orb an overall rating of 8. I think the Orb is a great light. If future versions were developed whereby the switch were integrated into the body or tail, it would get a 9 in my book.

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Little Fella (Orb) is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif why just because he's different a small percentage of folks would prefer a Normal Switch.
Here is a small movie which shows how easy Orb is to use.
Orb Movie 2.2Mb
Btw. I am working on a retro fit switch which will fit into the hole where the lanyard goes. It will operate like a push on push off switch. Watch this space
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif