Comparing lights: Sharper Image and QIII

tech

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone gotten a chance to compare beam quality, output, and general quality between the new light at Sharper Image
SI Luxeon
And the somewhat popular QIII?
How about with a Vortex KC1?

T.

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
Advancedmart recently came out with what looks very much to be a 1 watt version of the QIII. Seems to me, that comparing that 1 watt light with the 1 watt SI would be more of an "apples vs apples" contest, than trying to compare the 1 watt SI light to the 3 watt QIII.

Here's what flashlightreviews had to say about the new 1 watt, Nuwai QI
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_q1.htm

kwkarth

Enlightened
I picked up the SI (3v/1W)(uses 1-123A cell) light about a week ago and am pretty impressed with the value. The beam shape hot spot is slightly squarish with a round corona of fairly small diameter. So for a single 123A 1W LED light, it has pretty good throw.

Comparing it to the EL-XM-3 which is a regulated 3v/3W LED, the XM-3 puts out a greater volume of light, with a broader beam spread, warmer color, and because of the greater amount of light that the LX-3 puts out, the throw of the LX-3 is about the same. Adequate throw to a good 50'-75' in my foggy Oregon back yard (woods). The LX-3 is more useful for distance and hiking since the corona lights up the nearby area much better than the SI.

Comparing the LX-3 to the Inova X0, the X0 (6v, 1W LED) has slightly better throw, slightly larger hotspot, warmer still in color, but a smaller corona.

Back on topic, the SI light is a great close up task light which I picked up to replace an Inova X1 whose beam proved too narrow for comfortable close up work and too dim for distance work. As the Inova X0 is rated at 32 lumens, I would guess the output of the Elecktro Lumens LX-3 at ~30 lumens and the SI light at around 20-25 lumens. All of them are of course blown away by a 60 lumen SF E2D, and it by a SF C3/P91. @ 200 lumens.

Harrison

Newly Enlightened
is the throw on the T3 and the XO3 the exact same? i should say are the tiros optics and beams EXACTLY the same?

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Harrison said:
is the throw on the T3 and the XO3 the exact same? i should say are the tiros optics and beams EXACTLY the same?

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically, they're the same light. The X03 has a twistie and the T3 has a clickie. The body of the X03 has flat sides; the body of the T3 is "checkered."

The internals are the same. While differences would exist in the LEDs, the beam quality, etc., should be the same on both.