Looking for ideas of a general / ECD light

MJWood

Newly Enlightened
Well -- the time has come. I'm ready to purchase an EDC / General purpose light. First, let me define what I mean here. I am looking for a light that "CAN" be EDCd, but it will not be most of the time. More less an around the house, camping / working on equipment outside type light. Hunting will also be a primary task.

In looking around, I have found that I just can't quite pull myself away from the SureFire lights. I just love the design and since this will be the first light I've actually shopped for, (as opposed to "I need a light. MiniMags have worked in the past and look! They are on sale! TIme to buy anouther". ) I think I want to treat myself to a SureFire...

Since I do want to try to keep this small enough to ECD, I was thinking of perhsps the E2O model. I like the "O" since it has the longer belt clip which just looks more useful to me. I figure this will give me a great platform for continued expansion. Also, this won't break the bank in one fell swoop! I figure this gets decent run time and works quite well for my needs. Eventually, I can get the KL1 for it and the the 2 stage switch from Don. The perfect light for me.

However, if I"m going to spend the money to get all these things, why not just buy something like the A2? All the benefits of long run-time LED with a bright bulb? Perfect, right? But there are no filters for he A2 and I do want the option of red light for hunting... Sigh.. decisions are so hard!!! Plus, I'd have to put it off a couple of weeks to afford the A2.

So -- given my uses, what would you do?

I think I'm leaning to getting a light right now (E20) and upgrading as I see fit. But the verict is up to you smart folks!!! What do you think??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

MJWood

Newly Enlightened
Argh... Back to the confusion.

The L2 was my first choice, though it's low isn't that low and it's bigger than the A2. However, since filters are available for it, it does seem like the better option.

The other problem is that I would rather purchase it at a local store so I can see before I buy. However, it's not available at my local dealer?! They have the A2 and the L4, but no L2. Any ideas? Maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet and get the L2 from Tactical Wherehouse sight unseen. It does seem like a great light...

rifle59

Newly Enlightened
I have an L1 and a L2. If you like the L2 get it. Mine throws a lot of light. I too like to hunt. If you want a red LED-you can get one of the Photon Light type keychain lights for cheap. I have found that a LED headlight is more useful when hunting because it keeps my hands free. You can get one with a red filter ie Tikka plus/Zipka/TacTikka. Good luck.

MJWood

Newly Enlightened
Does the L2 "hum" too loudly for hunting while on low?

I know some people say they are kinda loud and others say they aren't. But could a deer or coyotee hear it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Hi, MJ.

I do own an A2 porcupine with Red LED, and would definitely recommend that light if people ask how I think of it. Personally, the Red LED could be rather bright in pitch black, but it doesn't kill my 'night vision' in less than complete darkness.

On the other hand, I do think that the white LED could also be more 'useful' light depending where you use it most(at home, camping, around city)

I don't own the E2O, so I can't make a direct comparison. But I do tend to EDC my E2D often than the A2 since it is less in weight and size. And I would think the E2O probably is a little more EDC-able than A2 in general. Not to mention there seems to be more options/parts availible for mod.

Good luck!

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a L4 with Don's dual output tailcap? Small and dimmable.

-john

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
E2e or E2d would be my suggestion.As Small, but brighter then the O.The O i tried was nice but you can never have enough throw(i like throw) and brightness. a modular light you can later get a KL-1 or KL-4 for, and it fit's lot's of difuser's and colored lense's.

I would lean to the E2d, for a few reason's:
::Stands on end if your in a tent or structure in your hunting grounds.
::The throw is a bit better then the E2e, much better and brighter then the E20.
::In any "E2" series light's you can pick between two different bulb's for less or more brightness/run time. (four "lamps's" if you add the LED option's)
:: the clip can be swapped for the E2o clip. But since you new to SF well the E1e and E2e/d clips work.

Anyway my .02 cents worth.VDG

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
I would also suggest an L4 with the McGizmo two-stage tailcap. The trim tailcap will also allow the light to stand on edge, and you get two levels of output. Add Pila rechargable cells (with a few 123s in your pack for hunting when you're away from a charger) and you have a very versatile and economical lighting solution.

MJWood

Newly Enlightened
Just for the sake of it, how much do the Pilas cost with a charger for the L4? Great idea for a light, and I really want think the rechargable option is nice, but for the cost???

More questions, less answers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Niteowl

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
AuroraLite said:
Hi, MJ.

I do own an A2 porcupine with Red LED, and would definitely recommend that light if people ask how I think of it. Personally, the Red LED could be rather bright in pitch black, but it doesn't kill my 'night vision' in less than complete darkness.

On the other hand, I do think that the white LED could also be more 'useful' light depending where you use it most(at home, camping, around city).....

[/ QUOTE ]

I find green to be an excellent compromise of the two. It's been said deer don't see green light, but I wouldn't know, haven't asked one, I tend to shoot first......

Mark