New AA choices for me...LX 3, Jr Lux or LX1

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need a reliable light that's brighter (overall) than a 2AA running Mag 2 cell xenon bulb AND runs AAs. Sandwiches are out, I'm tired of buying Mags just to gut when I can get a light made for the Lux. Which one will suit the bill?

Ratso

Enlightened
Try a Streamlight Luxeon Jr. You won't be disappointed.

Also, the Elektrolumens XM-3, though it has some very minor flaws, is a very nice light. It uses a reflector instead of an optic (plenty of good side spill).

Another option may be the Longbow Eco, though I have not seen one of these in person yet.

Best yet, get all three. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the Costco 2AA Lux? It's more than twice as bright as the SL Jr Lux and costs half of the SL with the same run time. It is larger and heavier than the SL. That's a negative for some, but a plus for others.

I don't have the other two, but from what I've read, the beams are too focused. The SL and Costco both have a spot with good flood. Both are good deals.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cant get to a Costco. My XM3 is lost somewhere inte Post Office and I dunno what to do. It also seems a little dim compared to everything else

Brooks

Newly Enlightened
I own the Gerber LX 3.0, SL Jr Lux, and XM-3. If I could own only one AA light it would be the LX 3.0 as it puts out the most light.

I recently bought an Electro Lumens FT-3C which uses 3 C batteries and it puts out amazing light. I prefer this light over the AA lights and it is still fairly small. I have ordered C size NiMH batteries and a new charger, which I plan to use for this light. I also ordered the Electro Lumens Tri Star Phazer which uses 4 C batteries. I will enjoy using these super bight lights and being able to use guilt free cheap rechargeable NiMH batteries.

If I had to do it all over again I would skip the AA lights, or at least 2 of them, and buy the Electro Lumens C size battery lights plus a Q-III. I hope my craziness in buying all of these lights mentioned plus others can now come to an end, at least for a while.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
GarageBoy said:
Well, I need a light that fits easily inside a backpack with a lotta other stuff

[/ QUOTE ]

I just gave the Costco light as a gift for exactly that to my GF's son's GF. It's dark when she gets out of some of her classes now, so she wanted a bright, easy to hold light to walk to her car with.

If room is tight, the SL is more compact and sleek than the Costco, but the SL also comes with a lifetime warranty. You couldn't go wrong with either light.

Another favorite is the UK 4AA eLED. It's not as bright, but very adequate. It's a $35 light, but it's still available for $20 from BrightGuy. 12+ hours of totally flat output. Another winner that you couldn't go wrong with.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Yeah, I'd second the costco light. I just compared it to 7 other lights outside in the dark, and my good one had a fairly wide AND bright hotspot that compared well against a 550ma Lux III (TWAK) with a modified pelican reflector.

Daniel

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Streamlight Jr Luxeon - I like it a *lot*! Lots of light for not much money, really. I bouyght mine off the 'Bay - in fact, I've bought a couple Streamlights from one dealer who seems to be very reliable and who has reasonable Buy It Now prices, better shipping costs and faster shipping than Brightguy. I'm not sure of policy here as far as eBay and dealer naming, but I can give you the info privately if you like.