Surefire L2 vs Surefire U2.

code09

Enlightened
Hey everyone, i just got a new U2, and i compared it with my L2. The tint of the L2 seems waaay greener than the U2. Is this normal? or is my L2 defective? If it is, what can i do about it. Also, can anyone tell me how the green tint on the surefire U2 looks like?

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Moephiues - welcome to the Luxeon Lotto. Depending on the lot of LuxeonV's they got at the factory that day, you'll find the lights will vary a lot in tint. Unfortunately, there's not much to be done about that, unless you want to completely void the warrantee and see if someone can crack that L2 open to replace the LED.

It's probably not a good idea to compare Luxeon lights, as a rule of thumb, at least not when it comes to tints. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif However, Surefire will generally go with the LED that has a higher flux, or so it seems, over a LED that has a much lower flux but a more pure-white tint.

And the Surefire U2 tints will also vary, due to this same lottery.

gessner17

Enlightened
My L2 was way green, My U2 is not. Mine has almost no other color than white on low, Has some blueish purple on high I think I did get a good one though. I have heard other people having some green on low.

Wayward

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to LED's and the tints of them are quite subjective and dependent on what your eyes are used to seeing -- at least for me.

My first LED light is an L2 and appeared white to my eyes. I then purchased my first U2 which had a green tint as compared to my L2 at the lower power settings.

I returned that first U2 and compared 6 new U2's and bought the two that looked to have the most neutral white LED's. Upon arriving home and comparing my new U2's to my L2 I discovered that now the L2 appeared to have a greenish tint while the U2's were neutral.

The two U2's that I hand picked still don't have identical tints but are close enough. One tints slightly cool (blue) and the other tints slightly warm (green). I've also found that LED's that tint to the blue/cool side appear a little brighter than those that tint to the warm/green side.

It seems to me that getting multiple LED lights that all have the exact same tints is very difficult. All of my current LED lights are close enough to white for me, but none are identical tint wise. In the end I think it comes down to you and your eyes. If it really bothers you exchange it for another. HTH

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is possible that luxeons housed in a green body (HA3 natural) might reflect some greenish tint even though the LED might be nice and white. I've noticed this with different colored minimags that I can get red, purple, and blue tints just because of the little bit of colored anodized aluminum on the bezel beyond the reflector. It seems that black and silver colored bodies affect tint the least. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cornkid said:
Is the U2 really that great? I see it for alot of money, but is it really that good?

-tom

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, yes!!

gessner17

Enlightened
I love the U2, much rather have it then the L2, IMHO, the U2 is much better looking than the L2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're really both darn fine lights.

The U2 has some advantages (more throw, more brightness levels, more intuitive switch for changing levels, better ergonomics, more better looking IMO, doesn't get hot as quickly).

The L2 has some advantages too (better flood, thinner/more compact, simpler.

I like both very much. Although, the U2 is now my favorite model, with the L4 a close second, and the L2 a close third.

CNTSTPDRMN

Newly Enlightened
I have an A2, L4 and just got my U2 yesterday... wow!! what a beautiful light, it really is great to be able to "dial in" th e brightness levels, an incredibly easy to use light, I've been practicing using the dial with one hand, not too hard... this is an incredibly handy light!! Way to go Surefire-- if my wife ever finds out I blew this much on a flashlight she'll kill me!!... she has no clue how much some of these lights cost... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Wayward said:
I'm new to LED's and the tints of them are quite subjective and dependent on what your eyes are used to seeing -- at least for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are quite right. I have never yet seen a "white" luxeon. They are very close though, and close enough to my eyes. But, as you point out, if you take one that looks perfectly white and compare it to another one that you thought was also white, you find out that one of them is either green, blue or violet. The closest I have found to white is an LED that looks slightly green in one condition and slightly blue in another.

So those that are concerned, it just varies and is normal. You can exchange them if you want to, but you might get the same thing.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was on the verge of buying an L2 when the U2 finally shipped. I probably would have been happy with the L2, but I still would have gotten an U2, and I don't need both. So, I'm better off $-wise.

PhantomZ

Enlightened
for me i like the L2 better cause its slimmer and you can switch from low to high with just the press of your thumb. i also like having the bazel up and the longer clip. it would be nice though if the L2 can take rechargeables. thats pretty much the only reason why i'm EDCing the U2 more over then the L2 cause U2 takes rechargeables.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a chance to play with a U2 today, and the first thing that came to my mind was (constructive criticism coming up) the level adjustment ring is at the WRONG end! You grab the light in your fist, press the clickie tailcap with your thumb, and then have to flip the light end for end (if you're using it one-handed) to adjust the output ring. I would have liked to have the ring at the tailswitch end so you can turn the light on and adjust the output without changing the position of the light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif