Who is a real flashaholic?

Hoya

Newly Enlightened
1) A guy who collect flashlights but dun mod
2) A guy who enjoy modding flashlights but dun collect many

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why would modding and collecting be mutually exclusive?

I would consider a collector a flashaholic, even if they don't modify lights, and a modder a flashaholic, because it takes knowledge, time and skill to perform mods, even if he doesn't collect.

So, both.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I truly agree with Kevin. Perhaps Hoya doesn't know the definition of a flashaholic?

It means a guy who is totally crazy about flashlights. Whether he mod them or collect them is secondary, just like whether he prefers LED or incandescent is a non issue too.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
FLASHAHOLIC:

Someone who appreciates and actively seeks information about handheld lights because of an ongoing fascination with them and their development, and whose interest often results in the acquisition, production and/or modification of these lights.

Brightnorm

AuroraLite

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
FLASHAHOLIC:

Someone who appreciates and actively seeks information about handheld lights because of an ongoing fascination with them and their development, and whose interest often results in the acquisition, production and/or modification of these lights.

Brightnorm

[/ QUOTE ]

Amesone definition...and btw, he/she should be a cpf member to 'truly' qualify. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know... though generally good, I think Brightnorm's definition almost makes the flashaholic in question seem like possibly a sane and rational person. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

To me, a flashaholic would need to have a bit more of a ravenous nature to him or her... Always in wait of that next light that has one more lumen. Or is another couple of millimeters smaller.

But to the original question, I'd say neither. And both. Just because a guy has at least one of every ARC ever made doesn't make him a flashaholic. But a guy that does his research and mods lights so that he can make some money while being involved in a hobby doesn't make him a flashaholic either.

Techmedic

Enlightened
Brightnorm's definition is bang-on. As with any addiction, it starts somewhere....

Started in my childhood, and I blame my aunt for my first light that started it all.

So for me it is a childhood illness to which no innoculation could have prevented!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll chime in with Brightnorm's definition too.

To most a flashlight is a basic item without detailed regard to runtimes, light output, throw, spill, durability...blah-blah. When the light dies, it means replace the batteries or bulb.

I'd say if you know the specs of a couple lights, you are likely an addict. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/takeit.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
What if you are told you are to supply two or three lights to someone who was caught by a power outage recently...

And you spend a LOT of time trying to select the lights!!! Considering things like battery type, switch type, LEDs of course!

And have well over 100 lights to choose among!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
If you have at least 400 flashlights, have a website about them, have almost 10,000 posts on a set of forums about them, and use them regularly (daily), then you're a FLASHAHOLIC. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definately can't disagree with that last one, LED-Museum!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

georget98

Enlightened
1. You spend 30 minutes in the morning trying to decide which flashlights to take for a day at the beach.
2. You're puzzled at your friends' reaction to a flashlight that goes through $24 worth of batteries in 25 minutes.
3. You once tried to get a loan to build a refrigerated battery storage room.
4. You read in bed with a flashlight even though the power is on.
5. You've taken a shower with a flashlight.
6. When you move into a new neighborhood, there is always a rash of police reports about mysterious lights in the sky.
7. You have an account with Duracell.
8. When someone buys a new car you ask them about its headlights.
9. You buy a new car based on how many cup holders can be adapted to hold flashlights.
10. A hardware store clerk doesn't know what a PR-2 is; your 4 year old daughter then explains it's a 2.33 volt miniature flange base lamp.
11. Your picture is posted in every movie theatre in town.
12. You thought the "thousand points of light" speech was about you alone.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
I don't really think I am a flashaholic, however,

This morning my wife caught me cooking breakfast with a Chrome Welch Allyn #760 pen light stuck in my mouth. She laughed and suggested a head lamp might be more comfortable...
"Or you could turn on the light!!!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

On second thought...

Tom

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Modding vs collecting- It's kind of like drugs. (They tell me.) You do a little mod, and next thing you find yourself buying ones you don't even need. (eg the beat-up gray plastic one marked "U.S.N." and "FULTON" I bought at a gunshow last weekend for $10. I took it home, threw a set of fresh D's in it and I think it sets the record for the dimmest, orangest beam of any light I own! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif And it's not for sale!)

Then you see the collectors who get hooked on modding. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Larry