Inexpensive LED gift idea?

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
Looking for something I can buy for Christmas gifts. Want a small, AA, LED. My first thought was the 4AA UK; however, not a real WOW factor for the average guy. Any suggestions welcome. Tks.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
If you want WOW, inexpensive, and AA, the only thing that comes to mind is the Streamlight Jr Luxeon - but I'm only going on the recommendations of others.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
One thing that may be interesting is a AA based LED headlamp. Most people don't expect getting something like that and the WOW factor is when they first use it hands free.

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
OK folks, good idea. I see the price is $30 at bright guy, any better buys out there? Also, can you tell me if the Jr. is actually brighter than the UK 4AA? I would imagine it is because the UK will run for 11 hours on 4AA as opposed to the 1 hour with 2AA for the Jr. Being that they are both 1 watt LEDs, I reason that the short Jr. run time is becuase its using more juice which normally would equate to more light. Right? Many thanks.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can find them on the 'Bay for a few bucks less. I buy stuff from U_Name_It_411 a lot, with no problems. I got my SR JR and Keymate from that dealer. Both arrived quickly and with reasonable shipping costs.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the Jr Luxeon is definately brighter... Not kinda brighter, but definately brighter. Of course, the UK lasts for like ten times as long on its 4 batteries as the Streamlight lasts on it's two.

To suggest a light for someone that will be used a LOT, the UK is a good light. To buy for someone as a gift to make them go, 'Wow!', the Luxeon Jr is probably the ticket.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get the most 'Wow!' from people when they see something they're not expecting. So they are usually more impressed by a Dorcy 1AAA than they are by multiple AA Luxeons. The Dorcy provides more light than people would expect from something that size and few people, other than flashaholics, want to carry around anything bigger.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yukon Jack said "OK folks, good idea. I see the price is $30 at bright guy, any better buys out there?"

Botac.com (Botach Tactical) has the Streamlight Jr. Luxeon on sale for $24.95.

David

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
RonM said:
I get the most 'Wow!' from people when they see something they're not expecting. So they are usually more impressed by a Dorcy 1AAA than they are by multiple AA Luxeons. The Dorcy provides more light than people would expect from something that size and few people, other than flashaholics, want to carry around anything bigger.

[/ QUOTE ]

RonM is absolutely right here.

To non-flashaholics a flashlight is just a flashlight.
A flashlight that's much brighter than its size might indicate, seems to have very high WoW! factor.

The Dorcy 1AAA at less than $6 from WalMart is definitely the front runner.

Another light that seems to have WoW factor is the translucent versions of the Inova Microlight
micro-handshot.jpg

- where the whole body lights up in use - again surprisingly bright for its size, it can be found these days easily for under $5.

Personally I found the translucent body lighting up distracting - but every non-flashaholic I gave a choice to, chose the transulcent bodied version.

It's not what I want - but it's what they want......

For cheap but quality handouts/stocking stuffers, don't forget the CountyComm 20 for $20 LED Lights

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody have both the Dorcy 1w Luxeon 3AAA and the Streamlight Jr. Luxeon? If so how do their beam and run time compare in reality? The SL Jr. looks like it would fit in just about any holster or accessory that a Mini Mag would fit - including the Nite-ize (sp?) head strap for hands free lighting - and would be a form factor that's easier to carry.

My Brinkman Legend 2AA incan light is about the same size as the SL Jr. (which I don't own and have never seen in person) and is much more convenient to carry than my Eddie Bauer (Dorcy) 3AAA Luxeon, which is much fatter, but shorter. I like the beam on the Eddie Bauer 3AAA Lux, but not it's fat size. For the same price of $24.95, the SL Jr. looks much more conveient to carry around and it comes with pocket clip and holster. The Dorcy come only with lanyard (I don't think it even includes batteries).

David

FLASHLIGHTMAN

Newly Enlightened
Yukon Jack,

I would have to agree with those suggesting the Streamlight Jr. Luxe on. It is a great light and it blows a MiniM@g away. That's why most people are surprised at it. It also runs well an Nimh rechargeables.The size, to me, is also a lot handier than that of the UK 4AA Led.

The little Dorcy single AAA is a cute little light and at 7.00 or so a good buy. These would make great stocking stuffers.

When it comes to ordering the SL Jr's I would suggest reading what people have to say about Botach. Personally I have not had a problem, other than slow shipping, but you will read that many have.

Brightguy on the other hand might not be the "rock bottom" price, but you can not, I repeat, can not beat their service. I have literally bought hundreds of dollars worth of product from them and am impressed each time. If you have the slightest problem with something, they get it handled immediately.

Remember, sometimes you get what you pay for!

Just my 2 cents.

Happy flashlighting!

Dave

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, I bought the Eddie Bauer (Dorcy)AAA 1w Luxeon at the Eddie Bauer store in our mall in Champaign, IL. I didn't see it on their web page. The lights are in a bin in their gadget section with carbon batteries loaded to allow testing and have an nice lanyard about 18" long that has a recessed and swivelling attatchement point and cand stand on it's end. It costs $29.50, which is more than the $24.95 Dorcy at Target, but the lanyard is very nice. The drawback to the swivelling lanyard attachment is reduced water resistance because it defeats the O-ring seal in the tail cap. I'll do a mini review on this lamp in the next few days.

David

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
If $30 is within your budget, I suggest you check out the Sharper Image 1W. Very small, nice and bright, very nice construction, good looks. I think people will dig it.

I know it isn't AA, but as a 1W single cell, I don't think it will be eating up batteries. And the small size adds a lot to the wow factor.

Output and beam should be very similar to the Streamlight Jr LED light (although I don't have one to compare).

Here are some ideas of scale. Note that I think the Streamlight Jr is larger than the Minimag.

-john

Sharper Image 1W Gallery

scale-640x480.jpg

size-minimag-640x480.jpg

paulr

Flashaholic
Small, AA, LED, and "wow" don't go together, sorry.

AA cells can't produce that much power, so if you want "wow" you need a lot of cells. That's why small "wow" lights always use lithum cells or rechargeables. Lots of cells means a bigger light.

I guess someone could make a multi-cell, AA-powered LED "wow" light, but I don't know of one. If you want an AA "wow" light, your best bet is the incandescent PT Surge, which uses eight AA's. Nice bright wide beam, and good runtime, about the size of a more conventional 2C light.

If you want small, LED, and "wow", you want a Surefire L4 or something similar. Not only is the L4 very small and lightweight, but after you buy it, your wallet will be a lot lighter too.

davidra

Enlightened
Drop the small, and consider an XM-3. Very bright, 2AA, built like a tank, but I wouldn't consider it small. It is a great buy with a great beam.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
>Sharper Image
Uses a "3-volt lithium battery" -- sounds pricey in the long run!