Light for rugged construction type use

traci

Newly Enlightened
A friend just called me for advice on what light to buy her dad for x-mas. She wants to buy him a Mag light to keep in his truck. He is an excavator so it would see rugged use. I am at a loss for what to reccomend. I do know that there is NO way he would use anything with a lithium battery. Any Ideas??

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
UK Q40 eLED - bulletproof.

-john

undminiqe.jpg

turbodog

Flashaholic
magcharger would be good
2 hour battery life

stinger would also be good
1 hour battery life

an excavator is likely gonna need a light that will "throw" or cast a spot a good ways

the UK series has a rechargeable light that is NOT led, that might also be a good choice

capnal

Enlightened
You really should check out the Koehler Brightstar Responder series. Very rugged. Very tough. Lifetime warranty. Made in USA. I have almost the entire line of them, and I love them all. The big 3 C cell model is very bright, and throws very far. It is also rated for a 30 foot drop!

The same seller mentioned above, Briteguy can supply them for you. Good prices. In my opinion, they are very much a great light at a great price.

this is the link to the Responder page.
http://www.flashlight.com/bright_star/responder.htm

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about the Pelican Sabrelite Led 2020? Its the one with the recoil led and runs 3C batteries. It should be pretty tough and its got pretty good throw as well...

RussH

Enlightened
I agree with Capnal about the Koeler-Brightstar lights. These are essentially up to date versions of the old standby 'industrial' flashlights. I still have a number of the older ones since I'm now collecting hazardous atmosphere flashlights. I like to take the 2D industrials and use 6AAto2D adaptors or EL 3toDs and 5 cell krypton or 6 cell Xenon bulbs in them. That gives them a brighter output with longer throw than most common flashlites and they still have a 2-3 hour run time (assuming a 750ma bulb, 2000+mah batteries).

But these things strike me as a little cheap ($4-6) for Christmas presents unless you add 2 $6 bulbs, 2 sets of adapters ($12?), and 2 sets of batteries ($6?). You could do the same thing with a 2D maglite for a more quality appearance. I'm gradually converting to nothing but AA batteries and using adapters when necessary. 4AAtoD adapters with 4x2000mah batteries compare favorably with 9000mah Ds, and alkaline batteries would too. And AAs are a lot cheaper than Ds, even 4 at a time.

Techmedic

Enlightened
I would suggest the Streamlight polystinger or stinger as Turbodog suggested as a first choice, then the UKE q-40 eLED.
Other lights that take the alkaline cells except the UKE Q-40 eLED would suffer from beam yellowing a few minues after being turned on, meaning that performance will be typical of store bought flashlights; yuk.

The pelican 1800 is not going to be bright enough, and trades people are usually carrying stuff so the two-handed twisties (you need both hands to twist the head to turn it on or off) would be hated right out of the package.

Stingers are regularly used by police officers, and other industrial users. They can come with a mobile charger (which can mount in the truck) and it can be ready to go all the time. (no batteries to fart around with)
Without going to fancy modified lights, this may well be one of the most readily available, simple to operate, economical to maintain lights out there for a tradesperson.
Go to www.flashlightreviews.com and read up on the Stinger. You won't be disappointed. To the lay person (or non-flashaholic), it is like a maglite on steriods.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why would someone choose a Stinger over a Strion? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Mark

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I don't really know about "rugged construction" use. I would guess a light used like that gets dropped and beat up pretty bad.

Perhaps a M*glight 3C or 3D with an Everled Lambertian replacement?

I would lean towards using a plain old Rayovac Industrial 3D w/Everled myself, since they don't show damage as readily as aluminum lights do.

traci

Newly Enlightened
I don't think a rechargeable would be good for him. How about a Streamlight twin task 3C? I live about 20 minutes from Brightguys store so I would prefer to buy it from him.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i definitely agree with Al and Russ. look @ the Bright Star Responder 4AA. wayyyy better than a stock Maglite in my opinion. the Bright Star's have a ton of safety ratings.

most other lights will be out of the Maglite price range that i'd assume she'd like to stick to.

great prices on Bright Star lights here @ Brightguy.com.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a Bright Star 3D Industrial model. It seems tough, but they also have a line of similar flashlights that are identical(I think) but have metal threads for increased durability. I put my EverLed in my new 3D Bright Star, and I must say it puts out a pretty good beam. Definitely check out the Bright Star.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
My Responder has a very narrow beam something like the UKE Q40 4AA (xenon). That may or may not be appropriate for the intended use.

Brightnorm

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
pedalinbob, yes they have faceted reflectors. The hot spot with the stock bulb (Philips PR-3) is a little sloppy, but an EverLed really solves that problem. The switch is a little stiff, too. Perhaps it'll loosen up with use.