• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Mag4D, BB917, Lux5 WX1U - WITHDRAWN

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Selling off one of my Mags...

This is a black 4 D cell beast with a BB917 converter epoxied behind the Hotlips, a WX1U LuxeonV up front with a UCL lens.

In addition, it has a glowsheet strip right behind the knurling on the body, so you can find it in the dark when the power goes out.

Pics and background info :
http://kevin.htgk.org/oa-variants.php#5WBB917

Sorry guys, it's a keeper. Didn't feel like losing money on shipping then spending more to replace it, especially since today I just managed to fix the only thing that bothers me about it - the weight.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Mag4D, BB917, Lux5 WX1U

Bump with price reduction.

Any interest? I'm practically selling it at parts/material cost. Assembly cost is free /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

U forward vf luxeon5?
Looks like a good candidate for a 5, or even a 6 cell magg host that can go a "coons" age on batteries.
If someone wanted just the bb917-Lux5-hotlips unit,
Would you part with just that in a tiny box?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ah.............

I definitely would, except for a small engineering problem.

The Hotlips is wedged in the Mag *VERY* tightly (think press-fit tightness). If you guys have any idea how I can get it out without destroying the Mag, I would be very grateful.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

Desolder/unwire the emitter 1st to make sure it doesn't get a lead pulled out for any reason.
Drop the switch assembly down enough to slide a flathead screwdriver in through the switch hole.
Making sure the flathead blade is only wedged against the lip of the back of the hotlips, use one tap at a time with a hammer, (resetting the screwdriver each time) to knock it back out through the front.
Get the picture? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You may try this at your own risk. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Then sell it, or just keep it in a 2D 6AA host. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sounds like a workable method. Seriously, when it comes to problem solving, CPF always has a solution.

Based on your solution, I just thought of an improvement - if I can reach through the hole and clip the lines attached to the switch core, I should be able to drop the switch out, and use a wooden broomstick handle plus the hammer to pound it out the other way. Far less destructive and leaves less nick marks than the flatblade.

First of all, are you the one who's interested in purchasing the stuff and how much are you offering for it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nope.
Just trying to lend a helping hand.
Anyone else wanting this fine kit ought to give it a go.
It looks like a 1st rate setup.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, appreciate it. Even if I don't manage to sell it at least now I know I have options as to what to do with the parts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've decided I'll eat shipping on this item too.... $125 shipped. Give your Christmas that 155 lumen feel. Runs for hours on D cells, too.

LAST price drop before it becomes a keeper. I'm already thinking of what I want to do when I keep it.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CQB

Enlightened

hey KevinL!

I'm "thinking" about it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif But I'm still reeling from buying an A3 from CHop. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

In any case, is this 4D mag still focusable, etc?

Is this BB917 Lux5 WX1U similar to the Diamond LED Maglite bulb replacements?

http://www.quality-items-flashlights.com/product_info.php?products_id=79

No offence intended... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I am pretty sure what you are offering HAS to have more juice than the Diamond item. I'm just trying to get an idea of what your baby can do...

I've always liked the 3+ cell Maglites (C & D) for their "presence". It's the bulb that needs improving, that's all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

CQB

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yup, it can be focused. Not as much as the original, but you can still twist the bezel from flood to spot.

No offence taken at all. The Diamond LED in your URL is a 3 watt. The best of the T-bin Lux3s available today are rated at 67-87 lumens, whereas a W-bin Luxeon V ("five watt" to some) would be 147-192 lumens. Not only that, thanks to the superior heatsinking of the Hotlips, I've opted to overdrive it at 917mA (normally only 700mA) with the converter. This one is probably doing close to 6.5W. My estimate is 20% more lumens than what you'd normally get.... because when I built this I was going for every lumen of light I could get /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Since it is fully regulated, it can take many different kinds of cells depending on what you want (weight vs power vs rechargeable etc.). I estimate that fully loaded with alkaline D's, it weighs around 2.4 pounds.

Beamshot of the OA4D Cookbook Mag on the left (T-bin Luxeon 3, overdriven to 1.2 amps) vs the Mag5W (W-bin Luxeon 5):
oad4cookbook-17.jpg

Actually the more I talk about this one, the more I feel like pulling it from sale. It's actually a very pretty light and I solved the only downside - the weight issue. But even if I do pull it, I'll work with you to find a solution for your needs.