looking for a good EDC

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all,
I am currently (and continiously) looking for a good EDC. My requirements (or wishes) are: good throw, decent/good Lum, and here's the kicker I want an adjustable beam or attachment that would make the beam adjustable. I've been looking at Surefire torches with the FM34 attachment. But what are your oppinions.

Thanks
Doug

socals2k

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight Scorpion should fits your bill /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

it has adjustable beam (throw to flood), small enough for EDC. and cheap[-er than SF]

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will tell you that SUREFIRE is great and worth it. You shouldnt find a problem with any of their lights. I have a G2 and its great. It has some throw, its also pretty cheap.

-tom

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now I'm leaning towards the streamlight Scorpion for my EDC. I used to have one (loved it) but it was "borrowed" at work and "never returned" about 3 years ago. I just wish it didn't suck up the batteries so fast.

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone looked at the Streamlight NightFighter2 flashlight. I read the reviews (all good) but have any of you played with one? is it worth being a EDC?

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 2AA Mini Maglite.

Hushed room...jaws drop...the seconds pass and it seems like an eternity. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mpr.gif

A 2AA Mini Maglite WITH a mod in it. The crowd roars!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

shifty646

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight NF-2 is real nice, it's basically the Scorpion in a nicer body. It comes with a grip ring for "tactical" use, so you can use it with a handgun utilizing the Rogers grip.
You may also want to consider the Stramlight TL-2, which uses the same bulb as the NF-2 and Scorpion. It's the cheaper version of the NF-2, and comes with a belt clip.

FlaRe

Newly Enlightened
Have you ever considered the Streamlight Strion?

Compact, bright light, heck of a throw, adjustable beam and guilt free rechargeable batteries.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:

Not Surefire for sure, but then I don't think Surefire is the answer to EVERY flashlight question!

[/ QUOTE ]

Blasphemy!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad71.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif

Just kidding! I agree. I too would nominate a strion great light,(i have played with one,and it's coming as a christmas gift)
or a maybe a pelican M6 lithium? nice size and beam. so many flashlight's,,,so little time........ VDG

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to tell us what aspects of your current lights you like and which ones you don't? Why do you feel you need an adjustable beam? The average public is sold on adjusting their beams because they've never seen a good beam with a well defined, tight hotspot and broad, smooth corona.

I'd say you already have some good EDCs.

Mark

Krit

Enlightened
SF A2 with two light levels. You can throw as far with Xenon mode and close up look with 3 led mode. It is very nice.

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
where I work I need the ability to to have a tight bright beam for distance (norway dark real early) and a wide beam for working close in. The lights I have are great I love em, but one single torch doesn't fit the environment that I work, (except maybe the lionsheart when it gets here). I know I could use a torch with multiple levels of light (which would probably be best) but I figured I'd check the adjustable beams throws also. I was/have been looking at the SF A2 for the light levels as well as the Streamlight series for there versitility, I've tossed out the P M6 because of too many complaints.

Doug

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm carrying the E1e with a 3rd-gen KL1, and a Surefire C2 - perhaps soon to be U2. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

An E1e or E2e with a 4th-generation KL1, plus FM04 beamshaper, will do what you want. I've nicknamed it "Surefire's smallest turbohead" because of the way it *THROWS* - extremely tight, very bright, and the light really comes into its own at ranges of 15ft or more.

With the beamshaper, you can then convert it to a flood beam for close up work when you need it to. As a plus, it's small and very carry-able. I hardly notice mine.

If you need multiple levels of light above and beyond that, you can add Don's McE2S tailcap to the light for two levels of light.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the Streamlight TwinTask 2L? Xenon does a decent job at distance work (though not quite as good outdoors as a G2/M6/Spyder) and the un-focused LEDs do a very nice job of lighting up a smaller area with less glare than, say, an X5T or a Lux1.

Sounds like exactly what you're looking for and cheap enough that you wouldn't have a coronary if you happened to lose it. Of course, it might not be quite as cool as some other options.

HesNot

Enlightened
Given your parameters of a close in light and a long throw light I think an LED/incandescent combination light would probably fit your needs the best. The Strion is a great light but even defocusing the beam it is generally too much for close in work. Same with the E2e. The new Streamlight 3w light might be a decent choice (with two power levels) although I haven't seen the beam so I'm not sure how well it will throw. I haven't seen any led based lights that will really throw like a Strion or Pelican M6, etc... so a good question may be exactly how much throw you really need.

If you really need some punch an A2 or a Streamlight Twintask - both of which are too big for my personal EDC needs - would work very well.