Anybody else have T3 switch problem?

toomanyleds

Newly Enlightened
I have an Inova T3 and like (or liked) it very much... EXCEPT that the switch now no longer works /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. It worked fine when I got it. I was showing it to someone, he unscrewed the tail to look inside, put it back together, and from then on the switch has not worked. There was absolutely no abuse to the light.

What it does now is that it will light if you press the button in hard and hold it, but it does not remain on when you let go.

I noticed in Quickbeam's review (flashlightreviews.com) that he had the opposite problem. His did not work right when he initially got it, but after unscrewing, replacing, and clicking a bunch it started working.

It seems like the switch is a little flakey and unreliable, which is sad for a tactical light of this price and otherwise fine machining.

Putting a washer in to add pressure did NOT fix it. The problem seems to be in the switch mechanism itself, not in loose batteries (there seems to be a spring mechanism in the light end that presses the batteries down).

Has anyone else encountered this problem? More importantly, has anyone else fixed this problem? If not, I guess my next call will have to be to Inova to have it replaced/repaired, unfortunately.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
My T1 switch is behaving like Quickbeam described in his review. If I leave the T1, say a week, without using it, it flickers as soon I use it. After 5-10 activations, it acts normally. After a week, the story repeats.

I am waiting another T-series light to see if is a common problem. I haven't find out how to open the tailcap. Any suggestion is welcome.

Anthony

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did not encounter any of those problems, but I have two suggestions:

1) Check if the batteries are not bent (this happens usually only with twisties when screwed on too much, usually on the negative side of the battery). Since there's the spring-mounted piston in the front of the light, shorter batteries do not rattle, but do not engage all the contacts.

2) I noticed that all my Inovas react very sensitive (with flickering) to dirt/insulating grease on the contact areas of the tailcap. So clean everything.

Otherwise, this really sounds as if you'll have to contact Inova/Emissive Energy. Sorry to hear this.

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
I have had no switch problems with my T-series lights.

If the switch keeps giving you problems, call Laurie Sabella at Emissive Energy. She'll help you out.

toomanyleds

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. I did email Laurie yesterday, and she just emailed back and offered to send out a new cap, no hassle.

That's great service!

I'll post again once the light is working.

It looks like I'll have an extra tail cap to "play with". Anybody gotten one apart w/out destroying it?

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
There was a problem with the very first batch of T series lights. The problem was exactly as you described. You can contact Inova for a replacement cap. Let me know if I can be any help.

Regards,
Flavio
BugOutGearUSA.com

Latest posts