Wuben        

Thread: USPS New Flat rate BOX

Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior

Default USPS New Flat rate BOX

Maybe this is old but I haven't seen it before.
    Priority Mail Flat Rate Box
    Up to 70 pounds [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif[/img]
    and two sizes of box
    11" X 8.5" X 5.5"
    12" X 3.5" X 14"
    Now what do you want shipped in your box [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]?
    How many batteries could you fit in there?

Default Re: USPS New Flat rate BOX

just started on 20 November, apparently.

from ebay forum:

Customers may mail any amount of mailable material in a USPS-produced Priority Mail flat-rate box. The postage for a flat-rate box is $7.70, regardless of weight or destination. Only USPS-produced Priority Mail flat-rate boxes are eligible for the flat-rate box rate.

that will be nice for shipping batteries and other heavy things! also, might simplify online retail shipping fees.

note: it looks like usps will deliver the raw boxes , so all you would need to have is postage. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior

[ QUOTE ]
    watt4 said:
    note: it looks like usps will deliver the raw boxes , so all you would need to have is postage. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
    And you can get postage at USPS Click'n'Ship. That's where I found out about these as I was printing labels for some purchases from B/S/T.
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif[/img] Hmm Watt4 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for the heads up! I just ordered some. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Cool... thanks for the link. I'm going to order some soon, I think I might need to ship a few bricks. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Seriously though, 70 pounds is more than you can take in checked bag for some airlines.

-Mike

I looked at these boxes and noticed that delivery confirmation, included on regular Priority Mail, is an extra cost item. Not complaining, mind you, just letting you all know a minor detail.

Dave

Flashaholic*

USPS must really be getting desperate. But this is certainly a great act of desperation! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif[/img]

Mark

[ QUOTE ]
    DaGunn said:
    I looked at these boxes and noticed that delivery confirmation, included on regular Priority Mail, is an extra cost item. Not complaining, mind you, just letting you all know a minor detail.

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking that delivery confirmation wasn't included on regular Priority Mail?

-Mike

Actually unless what your shipping is pretty heavy this isn't a good deal. I ship stuff that size regularly and rarely pay that much. Although it would save a lot of hassle and make it easier.

Wonder if the 2 cylinder heads for a chevy 350 (that I mailed to alaska) would have fit in these?

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    DaGunn said:

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

Delivery Confirmation is not included with any type of mail. For Priority it's .45 extra and for Parcel Post and First Class it's .55.

Delivery confirmation is normally extra, but IIRC, when you do the on-line thing it comes standard at no extra cost.

Also, just thought I'd mention that the flat-rate box would also be a good deal if the package is heavy AND has to go a long way. Distance IS a factor in the postage. So a bunch of batteries to California might well be cheaper in a flat-rate box.

Mostly, though, going the normal route is going to be cheaper.

Delivery confirmation is free when you print the Priority Mail label on-line. But, if you print the flat-rate Priority Mail label on-line, it costs extra... sorry, for not stating this more precisely.

[ QUOTE ]
    DaGunn said:
    Delivery confirmation is free when you print the Priority Mail label on-line. But, if you print the flat-rate Priority Mail label on-line, it costs extra... sorry, for not stating this more precisely.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is incorrect. All Priority Mail services done online with "Click-N-Ship" include DC for free.

Peter

Oh yea! Well look at the bottom of this page. Flat Rate Priority Mail
    Notice the words "Flat Rate" in addition to Priority Mail.
    Dave

[ QUOTE ]
    DaGunn said:
    Oh yea! Well look at the bottom of this page. Flat Rate Priority Mail
    Notice the words "Flat Rate" in addition to Priority Mail.
    Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif[/img]

Peter

"Extra services such as Delivery Confirmation™, Signature Confirmation®, and Insurance are available to use with Priority Mail Flat-Rate Envelopes and Boxes."

Those boxes are really going to come in handy for us out here in Hawaii and Alaska... I've been stuffing those flat rate envelopes to the busting point for some time now! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-Randy

Yeah, I saw that, what's your point exactly?

They are "extra" services and they are "available".

Delivery Confirmation is included and free when you use "Click-N-Ship" to prepare your labels. You incorrectly stated that it cost extra. It does not.

Peter

[ QUOTE ]
    double_r76 said:
    Those boxes are really going to come in handy for us out here in Hawaii and Alaska... I've been stuffing those flat rate envelopes to the busting point for some time now! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-Randy

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, I bet MR Bulk is going to see some serious value in using these new large flat rate boxes with all the bulk parts that he ships back and forth to the mainland. These will work out especially well for this type of shipping. The other "air" type shipping options for UPS, FedEx, etc., are much more expensive.

Peter

That is a pretty good deal for heavy things, I just looked up Fedex with that size box from Portland to L.A., 10lbs is $7.24, usually Fedex is quite a bit cheaper than USPS. (although fedex does include tracking and $100 insurance for free)

Edit: 20lbs is $9.24, but it's probably pretty hard to get that much weight into that little box!

BC, make sure you are comparing to a 2 day FedEx service. Also, these will have the most value for items travelling long distances like cross country. Portland to LA isn't very far. When compared to any other 2 day service over long distances, these USPS Flat Rate boxes are going to be untouchable ratewise.

Peter

Here's an example:

10# box from me (FL) to MR Bulk (HI):

$38.60 FedEx 2 day service
    $47.73 UPS 2 day service (retail counter)
    $35.85 UPS 2 day service (with UPS account)
    $7.70 USPS Flat Rate (Most likely 3 day service)

Priority Mail will take an extra day, but check out the savings. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Peter

I highly, highly, highly doubt any priority mail package will go from FL to HI in 3 days. They claim it "usually takes 2-3 days", but that's probably something like OR to CA. I've gotten priority packages that took over a week. UPS and Fedex guarantee that the package will be there in two days if you choose that service, that's why it cost more. Like I said, this thing is an OK deal, but still not amazing. You have to remember this is a really small box, it would be pretty hard to get anything even 10lbs in it.

I would have to disagree that this is not an amazing deal, for certain items (heavy) it most certainly is. Most Priority Mail packages go across the country in 2 days. I send lots of them, and 2 days is typical. It is true that sometimes they do take longer, but not usually- and very rarely more than three days.

This is a very exceptional deal in some circumstances (over 3# and longer distances), and especially for AK and HI.

Peter

LitFuse,
    I stand corrected... no cost for Priority Mail delivery confirmation, even on the flat rate packages. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif[/img]

Dave

p.s. Your sig. should refer to: Testimonials [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif[/img]

No worries Dave. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

And thanks for the spellin' lesson... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif[/img]

Peter

USPS mail (like priority mail) usually travels on FedEx planes. So I don't bother paying the extra for FedEx.

I'm sure the post office looked at a lot of weights and from and to zip codes to come up with the $7.70.

What I wonder though is if they considered that now instead of peanuts or bubble wrap, I can save on supplies by packing things with rocks and gravel.