USPS New Flat rate BOX

watt4

Enlightened
just started on 20 November, apparently.

from ebay forum:

Customers may mail any amount of mailable material in a USPS-produced Priority Mail flat-rate box. The postage for a flat-rate box is $7.70, regardless of weight or destination. Only USPS-produced Priority Mail flat-rate boxes are eligible for the flat-rate box rate.

74-boxes.gif

that will be nice for shipping batteries and other heavy things! also, might simplify online retail shipping fees.

note: it looks like usps will deliver the raw boxes , so all you would need to have is postage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
[ QUOTE ]
watt4 said:
note: it looks like usps will deliver the raw boxes , so all you would need to have is postage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
And you can get postage at USPS Click'n'Ship. That's where I found out about these as I was printing labels for some purchases from B/S/T.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Hmm Watt4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool... thanks for the link. I'm going to order some soon, I think I might need to ship a few bricks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Seriously though, 70 pounds is more than you can take in checked bag for some airlines.

-Mike

DaGunn

Newly Enlightened
I looked at these boxes and noticed that delivery confirmation, included on regular Priority Mail, is an extra cost item. Not complaining, mind you, just letting you all know a minor detail.

Dave

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
USPS must really be getting desperate. But this is certainly a great act of desperation! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Mark

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
DaGunn said:
I looked at these boxes and noticed that delivery confirmation, included on regular Priority Mail, is an extra cost item. Not complaining, mind you, just letting you all know a minor detail.

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking that delivery confirmation wasn't included on regular Priority Mail?

-Mike

Brock

Flashaholic
Actually unless what your shipping is pretty heavy this isn't a good deal. I ship stuff that size regularly and rarely pay that much. Although it would save a lot of hassle and make it easier.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Wonder if the 2 cylinder heads for a chevy 350 (that I mailed to alaska) would have fit in these?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
DaGunn said:

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

Delivery Confirmation is not included with any type of mail. For Priority it's .45 extra and for Parcel Post and First Class it's .55.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Delivery confirmation is normally extra, but IIRC, when you do the on-line thing it comes standard at no extra cost.

Also, just thought I'd mention that the flat-rate box would also be a good deal if the package is heavy AND has to go a long way. Distance IS a factor in the postage. So a bunch of batteries to California might well be cheaper in a flat-rate box.

Mostly, though, going the normal route is going to be cheaper.

DaGunn

Newly Enlightened
Delivery confirmation is free when you print the Priority Mail label on-line. But, if you print the flat-rate Priority Mail label on-line, it costs extra... sorry, for not stating this more precisely.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
DaGunn said:
Delivery confirmation is free when you print the Priority Mail label on-line. But, if you print the flat-rate Priority Mail label on-line, it costs extra... sorry, for not stating this more precisely.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is incorrect. All Priority Mail services done online with "Click-N-Ship" include DC for free.

Peter

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
DaGunn said:
Oh yea! Well look at the bottom of this page. Flat Rate Priority Mail
Notice the words "Flat Rate" in addition to Priority Mail.
Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Peter

DaGunn

Newly Enlightened
"Extra services such as Delivery Confirmation™, Signature Confirmation®, and Insurance are available to use with Priority Mail Flat-Rate Envelopes and Boxes."

double_r76

Newly Enlightened
Those boxes are really going to come in handy for us out here in Hawaii and Alaska... I've been stuffing those flat rate envelopes to the busting point for some time now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Randy

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I saw that, what's your point exactly?

They are "extra" services and they are "available".

Delivery Confirmation is included and free when you use "Click-N-Ship" to prepare your labels. You incorrectly stated that it cost extra. It does not.

Peter

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
double_r76 said:
Those boxes are really going to come in handy for us out here in Hawaii and Alaska... I've been stuffing those flat rate envelopes to the busting point for some time now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Randy

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, I bet MR Bulk is going to see some serious value in using these new large flat rate boxes with all the bulk parts that he ships back and forth to the mainland. These will work out especially well for this type of shipping. The other "air" type shipping options for UPS, FedEx, etc., are much more expensive.

Peter