SF E1e: thought's after 3 weeks,& my new EDC......

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF E1e: thought\'s after 3 weeks,& my new EDC......

I have been using my new E1e for a enough time to get a good feel for it, and I have found it seductively has become my EDC.My previous EDC had been my ARC LSH-P for a couple of month's, but now when I leave the house lately, (mostly for
dr's and hospitals,,,the gallbladder fiasco) I find it's in my pocket or around my neck, on the same cheap backstage pass/coach's whistle type lanyard, I use on my ARC, and E2d.

I guess when I break it down, the size is perfect, not unlike the LSH-P, and as with the first SF i bought,(E2d) it has amazed me with how bright it is for it's size! It's beam is a good bit tighter then the 2d, and the throw is impressive to me IMHO,for a 1 batt small headed light that fit's in your palm.It also came with the clickie! i hate the turn for full on SW. I had bought it primarly to use as a KL-1 host, but I will now be buying another for that purpose.

Yeah run time is worse then a LS arc, but better then the 2d, and i am one of those guy's that use a light momentarly
rather then turn on and leave on, so I have only ran two batt's down, including the SF that came with it, and didn't last more then a 2-3 day's.(then died like it had been shut off. you go surfire. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif)
but after that 123 shootout thread,i think 20-40 batt station's will be on the way as soon as I get back on my feet, financially. (If you didn't see the shootout do so, the batt stn's and one other pretty much mimicked the duracell ultra, my fav batt) so no real big deal there.

It's one of those thing's that you can't put your finger on, but we all have had the experinace: find something that is just "right" with you, that it become's intuitive, It's not the best, or coolest, thing but just "is".

I also have a new fav small backup/keychain light I love! during my down time with the surgeries, I made one of those quickbeam/flashlight review's solitaire "quick mod". I robbed a LED from a dollar store button light that was pretty bright, had about 5 or 6 soli's around,(my KC lite till I found the PT eclipse) and once i got the bug's worked out, led color aside I loved it. I by chance stopped into my local electronic's suppy shop and asked if they had any white LED's for flashlight making, they did,, I had never heard of them on CPF, but it was a NTE 5mm, that said "supe bright" on it. I am a noob on this stuff but, it said 4000mcd and 8degree angle. this ended up being much brighter, and a more focused beam with throw! I finally got around to making another, and experimented with and changed few thing's, different spring that is got a special coating,
and couple of changes to the head/reflector len's setup.
I now have a great KC light, that is almost if not as bright as my arc AAA,but better throw, and small.those funky batteries it uses are still going strong,(the one on my key's is starting to dim now though) are in every walmart or kmart, and at 1.77 for two, not really a problem either.
I also felt as sense of acomplishment since i don't know that much about what make's light's work.

So anyhoo, there's my thought's on acouple of light's, I am
pretty attached to now, thanks to the CPF. peace, VDG

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SF E1e: thought\'s after 3 weeks,& my new EDC......

The E1e claims another one!

I know some folks don't see a whole lot in the E1e, and I can respect that, but I started out with the E1e, MN01 incan and all, and it was AWESOME. Now that I have been spoiled rotten by things like Project C2-90, ahh, that's a different story, but I remember travelling with it and thinking "Who needs light switches anyway?" when walking around indoors at night with no lights on. Those were my pre-flashaholic, pre-CPF days.

When the MN01 blows or you get tired of an incan, you can always switch to the KL1. For the ultimate E1e-stock-sleeper-look, Chop does a KILLER E1e bezel to Aleph LE conversion. Now, where am I going to find the money?! (and my existing E1e+KL1 (3rd gen) will kill me for replacing it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

With a NexGen 500 or even 750 converter and a Luxeon 3, that is one light that is definitely gonna inspire some open mouths /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

BTW, get well soon and we look forward to seeing you get those batteries in.

StEaLtH_

Enlightened

I agree, i have my E1e for almost 1 week now and already like it a lot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I had my KL4 on it at first, but i didn't really liked that it didn't run at full power (though pretty powerfull) and it had no throw at all.

The E1e is small, has nice throw though pretty tiny beam.
So i also carry a L4 or E2e depending on the situation.

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast

How does the SF L1 match up the E2e? I looked and the L1 has all the functions of an E23 with a KL1 head on it + it has 2 levels of light and longer battery life. I've been doing my homework in search of a good EDC (btw thx kevin for the good advice on E2e) and so far it looks like I'll be having a SF L1 (which will be my first SF) in my near future.

Doug

StEaLtH_

Enlightened

The L1 (1 battery) and E2e are two totally different lights.
The L1 is a regulated (well, high is), 2-stage LED light.
The L1 is not just a E-body with KL1 on it, it has a different body, tailcap and bezel.
The electronics are in the body.
Surefire states the L1 at 15 lumens i believe, while the E2e is 60 and throws much further.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SF E1e: thought\'s after 3 weeks,& my new EDC..

They say that the e1e/KL4 will run in regulation with an r123. That would be a great light. Would it need to be a protected r123?

best regards

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the info Stealth I guess a L1 is not in my imediate future.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am recommending the L1 to a friend who wants the equivalent of a E2e-sized body with the 3rd-generation KL1. They are technically different heads from an engineering perspective but accomplish the same thing functionally. The L1 takes only one cell, but offers you two light outputs as opposed to the E2e+KL1 (two cells, but only one light level). Depends on what you want. Hope this is of some help, I know it can be kinda confusing at times /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

However if you buy the L1, you cannot exchange parts with the E-series lights., which is what I believe Stealth is trying to say.

In fact, we're doing lunch tomorrow. I'll see if he has finally made up his mind.

powernoodle: you can run an unprotected cell, but for peace of mind I'd prefer to go protected. Just my personal preference /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

I look forward to my KL-1, it should be a great match for both my "E" light's, but I think i still deep down really like incan's a little more, so finding another "good one" is a buzz.
But there is something I just really like about the E1e stock. I have other much brighter light's, and have played with some others at the local LEO outtfitter,It's like kevin said, you feel like what do i need to turn on and off light's in the house for? for that matter, it's useable as anything you can buy at 5 times the size at walmart or such. I got a 2D mag the other day for modding of my mom, and other then the pin point spot, the E1e eat's it's lunch. I can look around in the car my key's and still light up the dog across the street. it's just never to much and just enough for about everything i need.

Once I get finacially togather again, I will be looking into aleph's, but more then likely having chop make me up a killer led "stealth" in a stock looking head. But I still dig this thing outta the box big time!

It's the age old sage of gaining wisdom, you don't alway's need a hammer to crack an egg, between my E1e EDC, and the hopped up solitaire i made, I feel satisfaction in this way,, having power and not finding reason to use it. VDG

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

Edit: wrong thread.VDG