KL4 or U2?

cliff

Newly Enlightened
I'm ramping up for my next flashlight acquisition, and would like a little more power than my current E2E & KL1 (old style). It looks like I can get a KL4 for half the price of a U2, and both would need Pila 168s rechargeables rather than my current R123s.

So, I'm wondering how much inconvenience is caused by the bigger size of the U2. A KL4 head wouldn't change things much, and right now the size of my E2E seems about right.

Also, the U2 clip is bezel-down and I carry lights in my back pocket. Does this bigger bezel of the U2 cause too much of a lump to carry this way? If so, then how do you carry one other than with a holster (which I would like to avoid).

Finally, is the U2 alot brighter than a KL4, or are they about the same? How about throw? If the U2 is a significant improvement I won't mind spending some extra dough on one. They are big bucks, but if the chips are down light is sometimes worth big bucks.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I cannot imagine the U2 in a back pocket /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
The U2 on high is brighter than the KL4, but the significant difference is throw (which is more with the U2) and the multi-level output.

IMHO the main comparison is KL4 with McGizmo's McE2S 2-stage cap vs. U2 ... and the main points are size, throw capability and if you need 6 regulated levels vs. 2 levels.

IIRC the U2 can accept a 168a, but I am not very sure.

bernhard

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Just a small information, Bernie don't know anything about rechargeable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
It is even extraordinary that he advices to use this kind of energy for flashlights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif
But it seems he's right, U2 could accept 168S and, for as I read in other threads 168A /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Bernie --> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif <-- Pascal

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

gessner17

Enlightened
I had a KL4 and it was nice, but for my use the U2 is so much nicer. I love the 6 levels, I can now put it on a lower level and not kill the batteries so fast. Nice feature when you use it in the real world, you rarely ever NEED 100 lumens (especially to change out a hard drive cable, it only blinds you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). I find my U2 fits comfortably in my front pocket so size was not an issue for me. I like the added throw, L4 had bad throw. I don't think it would fit well in a back pocket unless you wear really baggy pants /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. IF it was me, I would vouch for the U2 unless size is an absolute deal breaker.

PhantomZ

Enlightened
the U2 can use 168a. i've been using that on mine since i got it last week and have been EDCing it on the side of my belt ever since~ i feel bad for my L2 cause i'm using the U2 more just cause it has guilt free lumens.............

i cant compare it to the KL4 so i cant comment on that.

Glow Bug

Enlightened
The L4 is a very nice light for many tasks. The U2 has the advatage by providing just the right amount of light for the task at hand and giving you the option of much longer runtimes. I carry a U2 in my front jeans pocket without any problems. The girls like the look too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

I would definately get the U2 if I could only have one.

cliff

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the comments gents. I can carry a Streamlight Stinger in my back pocket fairly comfortably with the bezel down. Is a U2 about the same size as a Stinger, or a little bigger?

Adjustable levels are probably the thing one would find most useful about the U2, but throw is critical for me and if I have to spend over a hundred bucks I might as well double that and get something that will work.

If I go with a U2, I will definately need a red filter though and was wondering which if any of the SF filters would work.

Thanks again.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
The FM64 red is probably what you are looking for. The U2 has a 1.47" bezel.

Just out of curiosity, what are you using the filter for? Personally, I've never used any.

cliff

Newly Enlightened
I use red filters when I am just using the light momentarily and don't need the whole color spectrum. It doesn't seem to decrease my night vision at all (eyes don't have to adjust when the light is turned off). If I am going in and out of bright areas and my eyes will be screwed up anyway, I just take the filter off. Heard someplace that it takes the typical eye about 30 min. to adjust to darkness, but with a red filter it is alot less if at all.

Also, a dim red light doesn't wake up the whole house when I am moving around in the morning, and the U2 may be particularly good for that. It is alot of bucks for one of those, but like they say: "If you pay for the best of something, you only have to cry once."

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cliff, excellent quote. I think you should be going for the U2 since you can both use the red filter (L4s have their own filters too), and you can dial down the power output for the moments where you don't need 100 lumens.

If all goes well, I should be waking up to the tracking number for my U2 tomorrow...... I get this feeling I ain't gonna sleep so well tonight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif